Greens' cannabis shame

Greens' cannabis shameChris Tinkler and Liam Houlihan

June 10, 2007 12:00am

Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

THE GREENS' chief policy strategist in Victoria has admitted she helped organise a cannabis festival.

Freja Leonard, chief of staff to Victorian Greens MP Greg Barber, used to be a coordinator at Mardi Grass, Nimbin's pot celebration.

Mothers of overdose victims are calling for Ms Leonard to resign and say the revelation raises major questions over Mr Barber's judgment.

The illegal festival features widespread drug-taking, nudity and the Hemp Cup - a judging section designed to find the best marijuana.

Ms Leonard refused to say whether she had taken any illegal drugs during her stay in Nimbin.

"The lifestyle choices I have made in the past are irrelevant. That is none of your business," she said.

It has also emerged that Ms Leonard was a speaker at a rally outside a court in Lismore, NSW, calling for anti-drug laws to be scrapped.

Her appearance was heralded in a 2001 issue of the online magazine Weed Witches.

Jillian Parker, whose daughter Janelle died of a drug overdose at 15, said: "This woman should be dismissed.

"Drugs ruin lives and those of the drug users' extended families, and cannabis is rightly illegal.

"They must have known her background. It really raises questions about the Green Party."

Herald Sun

yeah you have to feel for people whos kids die of overdose, but then they go and say shit like that and it makes you wonder if the kid was as stupid as the parent, and if the parent had of told the kid the truth about the effects of these drugs if it would have happened in the first place.

drug education saves lives, propaganda kills.

"Mothers of overdose victims"

You cannot overdose on cannabis, it's almost physically bloody impossible! Coffee is more toxic as far as overdoses go.

Idiots.

It is the herald sun and you wont even see the word cannabis in there unless they have something bad to say about it.

But it really shows the quality of journalism thats going on down there "Mothers of overdose victims" one women who has a chip on her shoulder with cannabis because her son died from a heroin overdose. But even then why support prohibition if additive drugs were on prescription her son would still be alive.

These people don't want a safer world they want revenge :thumbsup:

i love this bit

Mothers of overdose victims are calling for Ms Leonard to resign and say the revelation raises major questions over Mr Barber's judgment.

what crap eh? Sounds like a communitarian and/or opposition/parliamentary group who dont give a shit about overdose victims or their mothers. They just say "mothers".

Not your mum

Not my mum

Not your neighbors mum.

The Queen mum?

:thumbsup:

I reckon it really sucks how they've taken it to the point where it could very well ruin her career, and she now has to go against what I'm sure is probably her better judgement and pretend that it was all in the past and she thinks its bad now.

yeah you have to feel for people whos kids die of overdose, but then they go and say shit like that and it makes you wonder if the kid was as stupid as the parent, and if the parent had of told the kid the truth about the effects of these drugs if it would have happened in the first place.

drug education saves lives, propaganda kills.

Yep, good point God

I hear the Christian school kids go particularly of the rails when they finally get access to some decent shit.

I blame the parents. Thats not saying all Cristians are this way but they have their fare share of fucked up children too.

I have to agree with jabez in regards to the mother of an overdose victim wanting revenge on all drug users, bitter thinking.

Makes me think Freja Leonard is not up to the standard required to debate this point logically.