help! my cool tubes are hot tubes

the intake for the rom is a 300mm diameter hole in the wall which leds to another room which always has fresh air in it. I can't see how the air in the roof would be much of a problem though as I have 3 whirlybirds on the roof which is total overkill considering the roof area (my home is quite small in length and width but is 2 storey, and I chose the best roofing insulation money can buy. It is used by nasa to keep out heat, rays, etc so is top quality. It is rated to keep out 98% of radiant heat. Also the exhaust from the tubes is directly under one of those whirlybirds, so there is not much of a chance that it is making its way back across to the inlet of the tubes. This is a real mystery to me. Do you think I should have another intake for the carbon-fan. I went so big on the carbon fan because of the heat issues we have up here.

PS the 300m intake for room ventilation is hooked up to 300mm ducting and a 300mm zheile fan

sounds like a nice setup, youve got some serious fans there mate, but wtf's goin on? should be like a hurricane in there! :thumbsup:

id be putting some hygrometers at your GR intake and cool tube intake/exhaust to get some more info, wheres that hot air comin from?

does the fresh air coming into the GR circulate around the room and push the hotter air upwards? maybe with that suction its going straight from intake to exhaust and leaving stale areas?

keep searching aussie1, i reckon that room will go off when your sorted

:)

31c is a good temp this time of the year, running more than one light temps will lways be in the 30s

personally id have the cool light pick up from within the Groom instead of from the roof cavity, air flow would then be doubled maby dropping a C or two for max temps.

add an oscilating fan into the grow room if temps are uneven ie 25c on the flooor and 35c near light with fan on temps become more consistant through the room.

Avoid the A/C until summer you wont need one with cool lights or with good air flo, my last power bill was double what it normally is from running my a/c during the two hottest months of the year

bit of a headscratcher this one :thumbsup:

should be gettin a few degrees drop in temp at least but as has been said that depends on the temp of the intake air. if it travelling a short distance, like cool tube in a cupboard, then overkill airflow will compensate for warmer intake air but if the air gotta travel some distance then it needs to be from a cool source... i'd be checking the temp at intake.

how close can you get the lights to the plants atm?

peace

c

The tops of plants are about 20 cm from the light, mainlybecause I can't raise the light anymore, out of space, the plants that are a bit close have bleached, the tube is cool to touch, but air temp is at 30-31C. I have 4 oscillating fans going, wall mounted 2 on each plant. I specifically bought the tubes so I didn't have to use the air con at this time of year. Bit sus having it on and cranking over in the dead of night, especially when people are rugged up with slippers on their feet and thick jumpers at night and early morning. Last elec bill was just under $1000, a lot of it due to air con. One thought I have- the walls are lined with fibreglass batts, for keeping heat out as well as deadening the noise ( sounds like a jet engine in there) could the batts be building up heat through the day and keeping room warm when lights come on at night?

Considerin' your up north sumwhere and your drawin' in air from another room via the ceiling, in a double story house. I'd be going down the path of what SS originally said. Get the intake as low as poss to the ground. Then working out what options i had to hook the cooltubes up directly to the scrubber, so any heat that is generated by the lights is directly removed from the room.

Unfortunately becuase your up north, you will be battlin' more serious heat issues later on than most peeps in Oz. Get this one nailed, and you'd be set.

Another thing, seein' your in a double storey house, and if it's enclosed. I be lookin' for a spot down stairs. But yeah, just personal choice that one.

what are you measuring the air temp with many digital ones are very prone to changing when in direct light and actually hold the heat in there plastic surrounds.

Just an idea that your temps might be lower and your light is just heating up the sensor???

Apart from that I have no idea you seem to have enough fans to suck the glass from your bulbs

Actually, that suggestion about the digital thermometer is worth checking, I do try and keep it out of direct light but probably need to check it with a different thermometer. It does feel warm to me in there though but I would be happier thinking it was really only 28-29C. Will pull tube apart and put thermometer in to checking incoming air temp.