help! my cool tubes are hot tubes

Can anyone out there give me some advice. I recently spent $800 on cool tube set up for 2 x 600w but I have not seen any difference in temps. It is quite chilly here today( 21C), but temps in room are 31.5C and that's about what is was without the tubes last year. There is warm air being extracted as when I touch the outside of the exhaust duct it is warm. The fans are from fantech, noisy as buggery, supposed to pump 210 litres per second. Each light has its own tube, fan, ducting etc. I don't know what info to give you to get advice, so you can fire away with questions....

any help appreciated

aussie1

for cool tubes to work effectively, you must have the air getting extracted from them to never be able to go into the grow room again. if the warm air is able to find its way back into the grow room, your cool tubes will be a wasted investment :thumbsup:

if that isnt your issue though, i imagine that the fan isnt strong enough to keep the glass cool. but you should really wait for chato to reply as he is the cool tube king around here :)

Yeah, Air intake 'n outlet is a hard lesson this nub had to figure out, as it plays a huge part in how your room/cab operates. First time, i had excessive heat, only because the inlet 'n outlet were too close together so it was just recirculating the hot air. Got that sorted, then found humidity wasa prob. It turned out i had my rez too close to the intake, so it was sucking in moist air and when ya combine that with the heat of the light, the humidity goes thru the roof. Just by finding a new home for the rez, it dropped my humidity by 15%.

:thumbsup:

The actually growing area is 2.4m x 1.5m but the office or bedroom is 3.0m x 2.6m. I have carbon filter 400mm x 1200mm powered by a UF310 fan so I would have thought that was plenty ventilation. the intake for the tubes is coming from the roof and going out the roof, all ducting has a 90 degree bend where it connects up to tube and exits tube.

the intake for the tubes is coming from the roof and going out the roof

As someone else said I think this could be your problem.... Is your intake for your room coming from the roof also? Try get ya intake comin from under the house or from near a window. All that hot air that is blowing outta ya tubes into ya roof is prolly getting sucked back in again.

If all else fails start saving for AC :) 500 bux for a 2kw~ portable job... and you can control the hummidity with them also :thumbsup:

Yup, you're pulling hot air from the roof, (which will hold that heat quite nicely) through the tubes... and out and back again and again.... you've essentially created a larger GR with a recirculating air supply for the tubes....

What kind of air intake provisions have you made for the room? Hope it's decent cos you've got a muther of a fan and filter there for a couple of 6's....

the intake for the rom is a 300mm diameter hole in the wall which leds to another room which always has fresh air in it. I can't see how the air in the roof would be much of a problem though as I have 3 whirlybirds on the roof which is total overkill considering the roof area (my home is quite small in length and width but is 2 storey, and I chose the best roofing insulation money can buy. It is used by nasa to keep out heat, rays, etc so is top quality. It is rated to keep out 98% of radiant heat. Also the exhaust from the tubes is directly under one of those whirlybirds, so there is not much of a chance that it is making its way back across to the inlet of the tubes. This is a real mystery to me. Do you think I should have another intake for the carbon-fan. I went so big on the carbon fan because of the heat issues we have up here.