Questions on second hand lights

G'day!

I just went to the markets where I bought 2 second hand horticultural lights.

For $60, I got 2 x SuperNova 600 reflector hoods, 2 x 400W MH ballasts, and 1 x 400W HPS ballast.

Now I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to these lighting systems (I have only previously used compact fluros with pretty crap results), so I was hoping some more knowledgeable people here would be able to please help me out.

Are these reflectors compatible with the ballasts? They are called SuperNova 600 so I assumed that meant 600W (the bulb socket says 1500W 600V) but the ballasts are all 400W. If not, what kind of ballasts should I buy to match the reflector?

If they are compatible, should I be buying 400W bulbs? And which 2 out of the 3 ballasts should I use? Two of them also seem to have loose parts inside, should I be worried about this?

I had planned on just buying a complete lighting set from the hydro shop, but I saw these for $60 and thought it was a bargain.

Any advice is greatly apprecaited, as I am confused and don't really know what to do. I'm not sure if I have 400W lights or 600W lights or if I need to buy new gear or what :thumbsup:

Cheers!

first off a reflector is merely a bit of metal that usually, but not always holds the light socket in place. regardless of how big, small or the ratings on it, you should be able to connect up any light that fits in it.

now as you only have 400w ballasts, that means you can only use 400w globes. i dont think i would be game to use the ballasts that have moving parts inside of them, but if you score yourself a 400w mh and 400w hps globes, you should be able to test all 3 ballasts out and make sure they fire up. you should look on ebay for really cheap globes imo, they will do the job and there is no point in spending big bucks on brand new globes if the ballasts are just going to blow them up :thumbdown:

well that about covers everything you asked, i wish you the best of luck with your new lights :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply mate :thumbdown:

Do you think I should just go out and buy 2 brand new 600W (or 400W?) HPS ballasts? I am planning on setting them up in a large cupboard/wardrobe. I know HPS is better for flowering, so I'm a bit bummed I have 2 MH ballasts, but I guess I can use them for the vege stage.

That's a good idea about buying cheap globes in case the dodgy ballasts blow them up :thumbsup:

Thanks again mate.

Edited by bughouse loco

if money isnt an issue i would buy new ballasts, but i would atleast see if the ballasts worked before committing myself to spending a few hundred at the local hydro shop.

just had a great idea, take the ballasts into your local hydro shop, tell the guy that you want to see if they can still fire up a globe and that if they cant, you'll buy some equipment from them. chances are they'll have your ballasts plugged in within the minute :thumbsup:

if money isnt an issue i would buy new ballasts, but i would atleast see if the ballasts worked before committing myself to spending a few hundred at the local hydro shop.

just had a great idea, take the ballasts into your local hydro shop, tell the guy that you want to see if they can still fire up a globe and that if they cant, you'll buy some equipment from them. chances are they'll have your ballasts plugged in within the minute :thumbsup:

For sure, I don't see why your local store wouldn't check them out, you have to get new globes anyway so it'd only take them a minute to check it out. Goodluck! :thumbdown:

For $60, I got 2 x SuperNova 600 reflector hoods, 2 x 400W MH ballasts, and 1 x 400W HPS ballast.

G'day bughouse. Congratulations on a good buy at the markets mate. The Supernova hoods you scored are some of the best on the planet IMO. They alone make it a good buy. Unless your an electrician I would be recomending you throw the ballast with the rattling in the bin. Hopefuly its not the HPS. The others have them checked that they fire at the hydro shop as WDC recomended.

Nice hoods though and if you wanted you could certainly buy 600 watt globes and new ballasts to combine with them. They are more than big enough.

Good luck with it whatever you decide.

Another option for cheap bulbs are a standard lighting place we have one that deals mainly to contractors but sells to the public and stock $35 hps 40w bulbs they look the same and even got a mate that grows with them

These have no brand and come in a white cardboard box so I cant give ya any more details apart from price (how different could they be??)

Oh if ya dont trust the ballast put it on something fireproof so if it does burn you dont have all those red trucks turning up

Edited by Shithappens