is potency mainly genetic

hey all... ben growing in the sticks since forever. occasionaly i have grown pot with a good reputation and its been shit smoke. it smells great. it looks great but it don't work very well. :scratchin:

my question is, can you fuck good pot with something that you've done wrong. or is it, that if the genetic potency is there, you can't stuff it.? maybe i was given dodgy seeds to begin with? i was under the impression that potency was mainly genetic. maybe some of the wonder strains from the seed banks are'nt realy that good. lots of nice smell and taste and appearance, but still shit. :xcited:

i'm not doing anything wrong with my growing, curing etc cos its only an issue occasionaly. any help with this one would be unreal.........thanks guys.......B.B. ....... :xcited:

So your problems are only occasional so I would say something is different unless you are going from seed each grow which no matter how you got seeds will lead to untold differences.

3 crucial things would be either your harvest time, genetics used or your nutrients feed to them.

do you have a stritch harvest setting and are using the same genetics (ie running from clones of same strain) and are also doing the same feeding routine with identical nutrients then the only other factor would be the way your system is breathing and the external factors like temps that it is breathing (This is with all problems aside like mites mold etc)

My bet would be your harvest time read up and strictly harvest when they are really ready using a jeweller lome or whatever they are called

while potency is genetically determined, there are environmental factors that can make a top notch strain a shit smoke :) say you are growing white widow outdoors and get an extrememly sativa dominate pheno, generally speaking that would get you really REALLY high, but if you get lots of wind and rain during the last few weeks of flowering you can lose the majority of the resin on the plant which would only leave you with airy buds that are an ok smoke :scratchin:

it really pays to start with the right genetics, but if you cant find that perfect strain i suggest breeding your own :xcited: will take you a couple of years to get the strain how you like it, maybe even longer, but once you are done you could have a strain that suits your taste, has your desired level of potency, yields great, etc. :xcited:

If you get a proven cutting of white russian, for example and plant that out the back , let it grow on its own

get a shit bagseed plant and put that under the very best growing conditions possible

if both plants complete life cycle the russian will be far greater potency .. so imo potency is genetically passed on thru generations

Serious Seeds sell 15 seeds per pack for the simple reason that they consider you may need that many to find at least one phenotype that is true to description

other seedbanks sell 10 and dont give a fuck whether you end up with a good phenotype or not (exception being the IBL strains)

Thats just the way i see it anyhoo :xcited:

:scratchin:

You can start with good genetics, then just use nothing but water and a weak nute solution and a single 400w HPS and youll still get quality buds. Likewise you can start out with shit hempy genetics, and all the nutrient additives and extra light in the world won't do much to improve the quality of the shitbuds.

But, additional light, controlled temperatures/humidity, increased CO2 levels etc etc all help to grow a healthy plant, and the healthier a plant the better it'll perform across the board, so I'd say in regards to potency genetics is about 90%, environmental factors 10%. Start with good genetics and the rest will fall into place

Potency is almost completely about genetics.. you can fuck up potential yeild with bad conditions.. but generally the potency will still be there. At least that's been my experience.

Frazzle is spot on tho.. a pack of 10 seeds will give at least 8 different pheno's.. and even IBL will have some variance just not as wide.

No matter how hard you try, you can not build a Harley Davidson out of Vespa parts.

Cannabis also makes a good point.. many times I've bought a bag of weed that I thought was crap but Mrs DUD thought was magic.. and vice versa.

Edited by DownUnderDoper