poppies

you in tassie??

just dig them up and repot them at home.. or better yet go back when they are done and cut a bulb off and get the seeds.. each bulb holds something like a 10000 seeds or some thing rediculas...

be careful..

I seen a thing once on 60mins.. a reporter reporting on the roadside next to the crop...and with in ten mins there was a jeep full of guys with rifles... so there must be cameras or something...

hey SS.

I recon that might have been propaganda mate.

like i said they grow em by the acre or hundreds of acres. i went fishing once & was too lazy to walk back the long way so i cut thru a field of these pretty pale pink flowered plants, didn't know what i was walking thru till i got to the road & fence where i found the keep out sign. :peace:

opium is highly addictive.. and I would reccomend that you never try this... its all good and well.. untill your addicted then youre fucked...

its for this reason ive never even contemplated considering opium/heroin. Just my personal thoughts - no high is worth sending your life into a downward spiral to self destruction. Alcohol is a good example of a legal drug that does that, and opium/heroin aren't any softer.

Cannabis is something of a saviour in that regard - ok its still a drug, but if it satisfies your desire to get high then you wont have as much a desire to turn to hard drugs

I've been growing poppies (papaver somnifernum) For over 20 years. SS is right about the self seeding! The plant is very shallow rooted and doesn't transplant well. It is said that the darker the flower the stronger the alkaloids.

The flower petals last one day and then fall off, after that you watch and the ring where the petals were attached will darken to brown, NOW is when you will milk the pod to get the most sap. The sap travels up from the root, so yes the stem can be nicked as well. I think you will find that you will get much more from nicking the pod rather than cutting because the cut will heal up faster than the nick (think of a shaving nick and a paper cut) I make foil collars to catch the dripping sap, wait for the air to turn it dark and then if it's gently melted it will roll off the foil into the little mouse turds that opium looks like. (Learned that from a vietnam vet!)

You have a few days to milk, and can milk 2-3 days in a row, up until the seed holes open up. Once the pod is all brown and dry it is good for seed only, it will wave in the wind and shake out seed like a pepper shaker! You can save seed by staking the pods or bagging them in paper.

The season for poppies starts when there is snow on the ground as it is said that the cold makes the seed crack (stratify) also it's easier to see where ur putting the tiny buggers! But it can't hurt to take an ice tray and freeze the seeds in cubes and then place the cubes on the soil. They also require light to germinate. Organic nutes are the best, fish emulsion being the one that's worked best for me.

Once you get them going like SS said you won't be able to get rid of them. Now that you have the latin name you will probably see tham in seed catalogs.

The blue Himalayan poppy only grows in cool places, so I've never grown those....but every other kind. I have tried to grow them indoors without luck, but they CAN be seeded into pots and then the pots brought in for milking...

In all the years, I've never been able to get enough raw opium out to worry about addiction, the season is too short, they need the cool temps to get started, so spring into early summer and after that... all gone.

Edited by Granny