My Clones Look Sick

G'day!

I took some clones last week and now they're looking quite sad (Link to photo below). The one on the right is about a week older than the rest and the leaves are turning brown.

They're in an esky with a little bit of tap water in the bottom. I spray them a couple of times a day with a weak nute spray (should I be using just plain water?). And I have been keeping a compact fluro on them, probably a bit too close. I initially had glad wrap over the top to keep the humidity in but I removed it after a few days. But I have just put some more back on today to up the humidity.

Does any one have any tips to help them perk up? They were looking very healthy for a while. Should I be trimming the larger leaves to divert energy to the root growing?

Cheers for any advice. Peace.

Photo: http://www.hidebehind.com/3CF89E41

a number of things tell they are rooting the curling under of the leaves means what roots are there are lacking oxygen just let the cubes dry out abit if u want u can hold the cube in ur hand with the clone pointing towards ur rist and give it a gentle flick to get rid of the excess water or let it dry out should only take a day or two u def dont want a puddle under the cubes and stop folier spraying ur only slowing down the root growth

just my opinion :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, it's the first time I've tried and I'm very worried I've screwed it up. But I drained all the water out the bottom of the esky and gave the cubes a gentle squeeze to let the excess water out. So they should start to dry out quite a bit soon. I also trimmed off the larger leaves as they were all yellowing and I felt the smaller leaves were big enough.

Will let you know how they turn out. Cheers.

Dont sqeeze them man cup them in your hand and swing them to use the centrifugal force to push out the water..sqeezing also will remove air pockets that might not puff back out

Ohh those poor drowning babies!!!!

roots will only grow if the plant gets some oxygen and gentle moisture around where they are to grow not enough or to much of either will stop them growing or at worst kill off what does grow from dryness or saturation(lack of oxygen)

G'day!

I took some clones last week and now they're looking quite sad (Link to photo below). The one on the right is about a week older than the rest and the leaves are turning brown.

They're in an esky with a little bit of tap water in the bottom. I spray them a couple of times a day with a weak nute spray (should I be using just plain water?). And I have been keeping a compact fluro on them, probably a bit too close. I initially had glad wrap over the top to keep the humidity in but I removed it after a few days. But I have just put some more back on today to up the humidity.

Does any one have any tips to help them perk up? They were looking very healthy for a while. Should I be trimming the larger leaves to divert energy to the root growing?

Cheers for any advice. Peace.

Photo: http://www.hidebehind.com/3CF89E41

Hi mate, see the bottom of the stem on the right hand plant, see how dark the stem is, to be brutally honest that clone is farked, grab it and lift it up by the stem and I bet it pulls straight out of the cube with no roots and is starting to rot.

If you can take some more clones you will save yourself a lot of grief by throwing those away and cutting fresh ones, truely.

The holes you poke in the cube should be slightly smaller than the stem of the clone so it is held firmly in the cube, not flopping around like a cock in a sock. Those holes look too big.

Take some fresh clones, soak some NEW cubes, once they are soaked they will be right for 3 days, use some Superthrive with spring water, nothing else, put the glad wrap back on the eskie, no need to mist them, every 3 days only give them enough water to resoak the cube, don't take the glad wrap off (except to water) till those cubes are busting with roots 10-14 days

whats already been said.... take a look in the propergation forum and have a read on my cloning tute...

the cubes are way too wet... they should never get greater than %40 wet... also, it helps to sit them on a layer of perlite.. this will help draw any excess water from the cubes...

with the feeding. clones that dont have roots yet.. the first 1-10 days... you will need to foliar feed them... its the only way they get sustinance... when I foliar feed I use Plain SALT FREE soda water with a little worm liquid.... or just grow nutrients... if mixing grow nutrients you want about 1/4 - 1/3 strength... so NO more than 500ppms... after the first 7-10 days they should have sufficient roots for a light feeding, start them off with the foliar feed strenght and just up the ppms a little over a few days.. 3 weeks and they should have shitloads of roots for planting and should handle a full strenght nute... about 1600- 1800 ppm