ph down

Good to hear there's someone else out there who thinks that a slab grow can be done in a recirc system....

Yeah, it's supposed to be for all recirculating media, not necessarily medialess. Although pretty much by definition a medialess system is going to be a recirculating one.

Canna is expensive, far above what they're actually worth IMO. I got some good results with Dutch Master, although I'm not a fan of theirs I found it did well and doesn't cost the earth. Dunno about the substras buffering, but I imagine it would be similar to most normal nutrients. One of the selling points for the aqua was exactly that, that it reduced pH fluctuations, but this isn't worth the extra $ to me, particularly after I had such a bad taste in my mouth last time.

The Duralite stuff is more designed for tomato and other veggie crops isn't it? Or do they do a "crop specific" one for MJ?

Advanced are a little on the steep side too, but better than canna I found. And once again, the main difference is in the micronutrient chelates, making them more available at a wider pH range and maximising uptake. That said, you'll still get excellent results using normal chelates provided your pH control is down pat....

Growth tech, and most other commercial brands of pH up and down will be the following : pH up, Potassium hydroxide 400mg/L and pH down Phosphoric (or orthophosphoric) acid 800mg/L. Both of which quickly dissociate into either potassium or phosphorus ions in solution, and are readily used by plants. Provided you're not adding stupidly large amounts due to radical swinging it's pretty hard to cause harm with it.

Nitric acid is sometimes used commercially, but it's exceptionally volatile and difficult to use in a backyard/growroom situation.

I'd say just stick with the tried and true pH down and get yourself something relatively reputable. The difference between nutrient lines would probably account for perhaps 5% yeild between good brands? Far more other factors with more influence....

have switched back to normal ph down and the swing is back to normal.

luke duralite is for vegetable crops yeah. but the guy reckons he tries to replicate canna's ratios. whether thats true or not im not sure. but when i mentioned years ago i was using it for pot he didnt seem very happy :applause: anyway i have been using that nute for along time with great results but i became caught up in all the marketing and tried the canna aqau. im currently waiting for the grow which i used canna aqua to dry up and if there was any yield difference then ill be convinced its worth switching to the expensive stuff going forward.....

(ps i tried both nulife powergro and optimum bloom a few crops back and found the duralite product superior - the plants look very dark green and healthy using duralite. the optimum was ok but the nulife sucked. i was getting some obvious def's). but the buds using the canna look better than anything ive produced before, no nute burn and no def's.... although that could be because i changed my strategy and dropped my EC from 2.4 to 1.6-1.8. will keep you posted on the end results at end of week...