ph down

hi all ive always just used phosphoric acid as a ph down. tried the canna organic acid. yes it adjusts the ph down but it doesnt keep it down nowhere near as well as phosphoric acid.

with the standard phosphoric i would adjust the ph down to 5.3 and not touch it for 3 days until it gets to 6.3.

with the canna organic acid i adjust it down to 5.0 and the next day its up to 6.3 to 6.6

crap imo

Damm man thats a hell swing speed..

I adjust to 5.2 one day and about 3 days latter mine is only at 5.8 ??? Thus I only adjust weekly or a bit less but then again could be due to our system differences?

Hows your roots are they nice and healthy? I ask this as roots that are not healthy can raise PH so I have heard..or is it the root rot that raises it??

To swing with the Organics as fast as that seems to say it is being neutralized or destroyed in your system for some reason what else you using ... Or it could just be crap I have never used it but then i have always gone the Canna stuff

(Actually my PH down is so old it has no label left on the bottle ..hehehe)

hi mate.

yeah its a hell of swing speed i agree. nothing in the system that could be a detriment to the organic ph down. theres cannazym (normal dose) and rhizo (very weak dose of 0.5ml per litre) in it and half stenth silica majic. and some beneficial bacteria (nutrifield tri boost)

i know the silica and rhizo are very alkaline. but i adjust the ph down after adding these two additives and before adding anything else. i then add the nutes and if ph needs adjusting, do that again

roots are very very nice white and healthy. thanks to the zym

anyway once i switched back to the normal ph down the ph swing settled back to normal. takes a few days to get up to 6. so thats why i figured it was the organic acid.

mind you i did try the canna aqua and that stuff is the bomb for ph bufferring, keeps it very steady. very expensive nutes though the canna range. do you think there worth the extra $ mate

Is the canna acid perhaps a form of acetic acid? This could explain it's relative weakness.

I certainly don't think they're worth the extra $ meself. I've used the aqua and recently got a bad batch which caused all kinds of trouble. They had a recall about it actually... All very well and good after the fact that it caused MG defs...

But yeah, if it's an acetic acid it'll be relatively weak and quickly buffered away...

everest are you using canna organic acid there?

luke - im not sure what the canna organic is, doesnt say on the label. got it very very cheap. but have switched back to good old phosphoric 30%.

re the canna aqua i didnt get any mg def's. was expecting it after all i read but happy to say it worked a treat. i have water ec of less than 0.1, so that may have made a difference.

but anyway im trying the canna substra this time. cause its $10 cheaper and the guy at the hydro shop reckons theres no benefit to the canna aqua. plus im in slabs not dwc or nft so not really 'aqua' i guess....

The water I used when I had the problem was RO, so that wasn't a factor. No, it was just part of the bad batch they got out to Oz.

The benefits of aqua are small when you consider that the only real difference is the Iron and some other micronutrient chelates (more available at wider pH ranges) and some silica and algae extracts. You can certainly add these yourself though, and probably a lot more too.

The Aqua thing is supposed to be just about recirc, not really about media type, except that you're unlikely to recirc either rockwool slabs, (although I've done so myself) or coco media.

The water I used when I had the problem was RO, so that wasn't a factor. No, it was just part of the bad batch they got out to Oz.

The benefits of aqua are small when you consider that the only real difference is the Iron and some other micronutrient chelates (more available at wider pH ranges) and some silica and algae extracts. You can certainly add these yourself though, and probably a lot more too.

The Aqua thing is supposed to be just about recirc, not really about media type, except that you're unlikely to recirc either rockwool slabs, (although I've done so myself) or coco media.

when you say recirc luke im assuming your referring to recirculating nutrient solution not reusing the slabs. i use slabs with recirulating system (not run to waste). i thought aqua was marketed/designed for medialess (ie dwc and nft style) but it worked well in my setup anyway. one thing about it which i was very impressed with was its ph buffering. alot better than the other nute i was using. i havent tried the substra yet, do you know if it has as good ph bufferring capabilities as the aqua?

alot of posts i read on uk420 were complaining about mg def's when using aqua in hard water. some even with soft water. the brochure on the aqua nutes says its designed for medium water.

canna in general is expensive. as is advance nutrients. is there any other nutrient you would recommend that is cheaper and as good???? i have always used a no-name commercial nute which is really cheap ($2 per litre) from a hydroponics wholesale called duralite. but it doesnt differentiate between veg and flower. bloke just says use 10% of the nitrogen/calcium part A when flowering. works well but the canna worked better.