out side in winter?

Frost is not the only problem, the average temperature is also too low and the day is too short, if it was possible to grow though winter in Sydney then the growers there would not be investing in grow rooms.

For the first grow or two you should use some of the seed you get in the mj you are buying (bag seed) and get the hang of growing, you will find links to seed banks in the Seeds & Seedbanks forum, due to international mail checking I would stick with Australian seed banks.

Guest bacchus
hey boxerbill....maybe you could think of stting up a little greenhouse outside....maybe cover with shadecloth or something...there are a couple of great seedbaks here in australia, check out sponsers product forum and the seeds forum for info and links...as for growing in winter, in my part of the world (north nsw) i have had friends that have grown right throught the year without major dramas and it's still nice smoke....just make sure you can get them plenty of light and warmth and keep them out of the frost and get them in as soon as you can...good luck.. ;) Edited by bacchus

Purple strains are not very potent.

What makes you say that??? ;)

you mean purple strains or strains that turn purple later stage of their growth?

From what I have been told, as I have made a posting somewhere here "Purple Buds - Cool Nights", as I was asking a question about purple buds/cool nights.

People have grown potent strains, its the cool nights makes the colour change from what I have been told.

Please correct me if I am mistaken here ;)

Urbanhog http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sp/chefico.gif

Purple colouration is either a reaction to the cold weather, or a genetic trait. A strain that is genetically purple will show 50% purple colour under any conditions, they can only ever be 50% pure breeding for purple colouration cos it is a recessive genetic trait. In the early 80's, purple heads were thought to mean high quality smoke, and it got sold at a higher price than regular pot, even though most would just be frosted purple. But Purple Haze which was a gentically purple strain was the greatest smoke around, meant to be better than original haze.

I dont know why the dutch made so much purple genetics, I would have thought they would go purple outdoors in Holland anyway. Anyway they are weak strains bred for early flowering. The real purple haze is dead, but some company sells 'purple haze' but its a pure indica weak as piss.

it might sound crazy but its proven has a physical explanation and has been done in the horticulture industry for years

Temperature activated sprinklers it sounds crazy to put water on plants in risk of frost but it saves them.

Temp drops below critical min water spray comes on plants dont get burnt just cold

Ok so 1 gram of water AKA 1 mL will absorbe i think its 4.18 joules to gain a degree in temp

and if ur familiar with other substances specific heat capacity this is very high. therefore 10 degree water from your tap will have to loose alot of energy very quick to drop to the same temp as the moisture on your plants. a quick spray every house or so will prevent the plants from being frosted