LST - tie-down with string vs. training with wire like bonsai

Ive recently got into bonsai plants, i reckon theyre cute as kittens and i've started training them with the aluminium wire that was supplied. Up until now i've just used strings to tie down my mullies like i guess most LST'ers do, but im considering trying some wire on one tonight. Does anyone do this/done it before??

I can't really think of any disadvantages when compared with string tie-downs, but the advantages that i can think of:

- complete 360-degree control vs strings where youve only really got vertical control

- no need to tie down to anything like screws in the pot

- should be able to get better light distribution to more parts of the plant

- you can make whacky-looking plants for photos or display

- you have full control over the growth shape of the plant - you can for example make the main stem grow up in a spiral rather than straight up which should help improve light penetration

you only live once so i'm gonna give it a go tonight :applause:

Edited by NotDave

Be careful though, these aren't woody perennials we're talking about, but herbaceous annuals...

Wire training is a quite stressful experience for plants as you're cutting off sap flow if you do it too tight....

Best training method I've ever found? Yo-yos, or nie-co-rolls. Luv em. :applause:

But let us know how you go notdave, I'm sure you'll learn some interesting things even if it doesn't turn out to be an effective method of training...

Yo-yos, or nie-co-rolls

got a URL? A search for nie-co-rolls yielded only 7 useless results :applause:

Wire training is a quite stressful experience for plants as you're cutting off sap flow if you do it too tight....

I dont see how its really any more/less stressful than tying down though? choosing an appropriate wire gauge will help too - strong enough to hold shape but flexible enough for the plant to be able to expand it as it grows

Thats my only real concern - they grow so fast compared to bonsai so itll be interesting to see how often i have to update the wires, but i'll only be doing it on a few stems, just as you would with normal string LST

:applause:

Hey NotDave ,

Sounds sensible to me .. ofc regarding what Luke said ... Gotta also be a little more careful I spose ...

I've had the idea of Pipe cleaners or other padded wires allowing a little better "give" and "padding" for the plant stems ...

Maybe there is an insulated type wire that might not be so "cutting" for the growth? ...

Anyway , Just a suggestion. Lookin forward to some Pics when ya get it goin. B)

Cheerz lol

Budman lol

Yeah, you'll have to retrain and situate the wire quite often....

hmm... as to the nie-co-rolls... (actually, it's nie-co-rol) try this link to get an idea about em... http://homeharvest.com/plantsupports.htm

You can usually get em from most hydro shops, you might have to ask for them as yo-yos though, that's the colloquial name for em out here.

Originally used for floriculture, they're brilliant. Tensioned and self rolling so they draw as the plant grows.... :applause:

The thing about a fast growing annual is that the stem is expanded and grows much faster than those of perennial plants. This would mean that you'll be loosening the wire almost constantly, particularly in the earlier stages of flower and the growth phase....

hey notdave

i trained a couple of mums with bonsai wire with good success. the wire i bought came with some nifty diagrams on the back of typical tying /winding methods. the spiralling effect seemed to work well as the plant can then grow into a similar spiral as the wire and not cut off the sap flow.

give it a go mate and let us know how you go

:applause:

Hey there Dave,

I've been thinking about trying this also. From my experiences with mullies and bonsai figs, I'd have to agree with luke about the fast growth rate problem. Having said that, I usually only loosely tie the figs anyway, with only a few spirals in the wire on each branch. This way the plant is able to force the wire if it becomes tight.

I just use copper electrical wire(stripped & about 1mm dia), the single strand stuff like in your house is good lol

:applause: For mullies I'll probly leave the insulation on so that it's less likely to cut into the stem.

If you want to bonsai them properly, I think you'll need to root prune them regularly. This should help slow the growth, but also restrict the size of the leaves to make it look proportional. Obviously yield will be drastically reduced.

...am dribbling shit or what :bleh:

lol must be time for another B)

good luck dave.

post-7959-1162562060_thumb.jpg

(picture lifted from OG)

:bleh:

If you want to bonsai them properly...

nahhh this isnt about bonsai'ing mullies, just using training wire in the same style as bonsai training. So, it's not to keep them small, just to train their growth so as to maximise horizontal growth and increase light penetration. :applause: Basically the same as string tie-downs but using wire instead

Luke I checked out those ni-co-rol things, they look similar to the 'ezy-rollers' i use to hang my lights from lol, but they're only good for vertical support, not training as such