Nutrient Burn?

G'day all,

This is my first time posting, although I have spent very much time reading these wonderful boards.

I'm growing my first ever cannabis plant at the moment and it's about two and a half weeks old, and I'm pretty sure it's just started it's vegetative period. I found the single seed in a stick and I half-heartedly germinated it and planted it just to see if it'd work. As it started growing I began to wish I had taken more care at the time as I have fallen in love with my new plant (which I am really hoping turns out to be female) and I can see this turning into an on-going hobby.

I used some Native Plant soil I had laying around, which I am pretty sure had some fertilisers already in it. I also bought some Miracle-Gro 15:13.1:12.4 fertiliser which I used for the first time the other day, one and a half times weaker than the box recommended.

However, I think I have encountered my first problem. As you can see in the photos (links below), the tips of the leaves are turning a yellow/brown colour and curling downwards slightly, and over the last day this seems to be spreading onto the lower older leaves and making them look pretty sick. From what I have read I believe this is caused from nutrient burn (from too much nitrogen), or possibly over watering. Does this sound right?

Anyway, I was hoping some of you more experienced growers could please give me some advice as to the solution of this problem. Is a soil flush the way to go? If so, what is the best way of doing one? And how should I avoid this happening again? I don't have a pH tester yet but I plan on getting one very soon. Please look at the photos and let me know what you think.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Photo 1: http://www.hidebehind.com/B12D9867

Photo 2: http://www.hidebehind.com/9FA09B68

Edited by bughouse loco

Yep looks like nute burn to me, i have just done the same thing mate , advice i was given was to flush like hell every 3-4 days , i ran 1 litre through my pots , it didnt help me (EC runoff 0.8), but it might work for you ,although , just make sure they are really dry before flushing or you might over water as well .....

im new to dirt , already learnt my 1st lesson , keep em seed raising mix for the 1st 3-4 weeks of Veg.....

so letem dry out , then try a flush , although i have to say , the newer growth doesnt look all that bad being only slightly burnt, how often are you watering ....

Also dont use miracle grow till about 5-6 weeks(i wouldnt use it at all) , there should be enough food in the soil till then...

hey there bug house

although i cant see your pics i will guess that you are right with the nute burn i would flush as lucian said to get rid of excess salts in ya soil then start one weak nutes get some hydroponics nutes if you have to and dilute them at half strength and give this to ya plant every second feed but without a pic i cant be shore

cheerz :Dj:

Thanks for all your replies! And sorry about the photos, I've hosted them somwhere else so you should all be able to see them now:

Photo 1: http://www.hidebehind.com/B12D9867

Photo 2: http://www.hidebehind.com/9FA09B68

The lower leaves are looking even more manky now so I think I had better do a soil flush today, the soil is quite dry. Can I just use tap water? Or do I have to modify the pH level? I still need to get a pH tester. And I'll get some new nutes as well.

Cheers for the help people.

hey man

yeah there seems to be some nute burn

and also maybe a deficiancy or the begginning of 1

id most certainly be flushing the best ph level for soil is 6.5 i believe

but as already said u can just use tap water

try and get the water tepid or near to room temp

as this will not shock the roots as much imo

stay awasy from the miracle grow and maybe by some new soil for fast growin vegetable

some nutrients more so in the flower stage if growwin in soil

good luck and be sure to let us no how u go

peace take care

bpa

Thanks mate :)

I did the flush today, completely saturating the soil twice and then letting all the water drain out the bottom of the pot.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again for the help.

make sure ya keep us updated , i cooked my seedlings in hot dirt mate so ya not on ya own

i flushed and made things worse

.......started again........