hi guys.

I have been using soda? water from our soda stream machine as a spray. Haven't done comparisons but the buds do grow nicely.

the gas canister says carbonated so i guess that it is co2.

any co2 is better than none :peace:. Plants breath co2 during light hours. oxygen during night - i recall this from 15 years ago at high school science.

Edited by Samjana

LMFAO... ive been telling peeps to get a soda stream for years....

I buy my soda water... you need to get salt free soda water...

the best thing with soda water is the water actually holds the co2 to the leaves or the plants.. eliminating the need to shut off fans...

if youve been using the soda water trick.... then you must have got it from me...some where along the line... every one said I was stupid for doing it... I just laugh.. Ive been soda water spraying ever since my very first crop...over 17 years...:peace:

using yeast or bicarb .. it doesnt really matter.. by releasing the gasses into the enviroment like this is a lot less efective becuase of the fact that your fans suck it out just as quick as its made... all though you will get some benifit.. the % is actually quite low...doesnt meen its not worth it... like what has already been said, any is better than none...

theres no ratio with bicarb and vinigar.. as long as the vinigar drips onto the bicarb.. its making co2...

generally i just get a coke bottle and put a cup or 2 bicarb in then a cup or two or vinegar in and keep shaking till gone.

If you have some silt in the bottom you can add more vinegar

WARNING: The vinegar if it hits the leaves will leave little spots on the leaves so be carefull

Samjama You actually spray the carbonated water on the plants?? Wouldnt shaking the bottle and letting the gas fall over the plants be enough?? (I stand corrected SS nice idea as it drys it would have to breakdown I suppose as part of its elements the CO2 would be released)

I would love some info on keeping the yeast alive or how to tell if its still alive as I seem to be a vinegar+bicarb freek to the people at Bi-Lo

Edited by Shithappens

ive done some of that spirit home distilling before, good stuff :peace:

Just ferment yeast n sugar in water, distill a few times to bring purity and strength up, then add flavoured essence bottle (like a bourbon or a scotch or a midori) as if you were making a cordial, and voila - instant bourbon :peace:

but the fermenting process stinks!, are you sure you wanna stink up your growroom with that? it'd almost certainly affect the smell and taste of your buds ... ? :peace:

sh, you feed yeast sugar and it grows (reproduces) so i guess you could just keep feeding the sugar in and it would be a endless small supply of co2,

as for telling if the yeast is still alive i dont know, i would go of the bubbles that are expelled from the mix once they start to slow down, add more food (sugar) that's how i'm gonna do it anyways... :thumbsup:

Just found this and figured it was worth posting here.

Stickydank?s basic CO2 method

Items Required:

* 10lb. white sugar

* 5 gallon clean bucket W/lid

* 4 1/2 gallons of water

* A piece of toast browned and hard

* A table spoon of dry active yeast (for baking bread)

First boil the water, (this will ensure clean water) remove from the heat and add the sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Let cool until water is room temperature (if you don't let it cool down it won't work).

After the sugar water has cooled, float the piece of toast on top of the water. Now, empty the tablespoon of yeast over the toast. After a few days, the yeast will take over the toast and start making bubbles (CO2) in the bucket. After a week, the amount of bubbling (CO2) will increase.

Keep the lid airtight on the bucket. CO2 travels up the dispersion tubing, and due to it being heavier than air, falls directly onto your plants. Timing your exhaust, is essential in maintaining an effective level of CO2.

Editors Note: Unfortunately the author of this contribution has not been able to test the CO2 levels produced using his method. Personally, I would use a CO2 analysis kit to help manage (exhaust timing etc), and maintain, an optimum level of around 1500PPM.

sh, you feed yeast sugar and it grows (reproduces) so i guess you could just keep feeding the sugar in and it would be a endless small supply of co2,

as for telling if the yeast is still alive i dont know, i would go of the bubbles that are expelled from the mix once they start to slow down, add more food (sugar) that's how i'm gonna do it anyways... :thumbsup:

You can actually do this, I have a thread on it but havent updated it. The yeast will sit idle and you can add sugar when you need CO2. Its not endless because eventually the alcohol level builds up and kills tyhe yeast. Depending on the yeast you use, you can add x weight of sugar per litre of water, after that it will not be able to produce any more. Check out homedistiller.org. THere are other ways to control the rate of fermentation like controlling temperature, but I think it would be pretty hard to do it that way.

maybe im just a pessimist but ive used pure c02 from a cannister and with the fans on it does fuck all.... so i dont see how much benefit you can get out of buckets

i guess have to try it to see....

I'm like yourself highly pessimistic if you've got vent running. Any slight increase in local CO2(which is all this chemical means of CO2 production will give you) is out with the bathwater. :thumbsup: