seeds

stonerweed

The FemaleSeeds.nl website has some good info on the whole 'hermie issue' in regards to female/feminised seeds:

The big issue: hermaphrodite encounter

Your highest concern is: what’s the chance of a hermie?

First of all, what is a hermie? A real hermie is a plant which creates 50% male flowers and 50% female flowers with hardly no bud formation. This is possible in all seeds, just as much in regular seeds as in well produced female seeds. It's part of nature and happens in very rare cases. All of our seed batches are tested for hermie’s before they are released on the market. Seed batches which have proven to be unreliable are destroyed. Deviations which are uncommon, but possible in female seeds are a few (mostly sterile) male first flowers on the stem of a female plant. After removal of these few balls, the plant will grow into a full female. Hence 99% female seeds. So, what is the chance of you getting a male flower? It’s like the chance of getting involved in an accident whilst driving your car, there is a tiny tiny chance of coming across a male flower in female seeds.

To be on the safe side people these days wear seatbelts to protect themselves during an accident. We would also like to recommend growers to protect themselves from being unfortunate enough to come across a male flower. Therefore our recommendations are to always watch the stem of your plants in the first few weeks of flowering. For some strains the chance of a male pre-flower is lower with a longer vegetation period, while other strains are not susceptible to this at all. Each strain states a reliability rate to advise you on the chances of a male flower in that strain. (see strain descriptions) Taking these kind of precautions, besides your usual input will guarantee you a successful and happy grow. And by being fully informed this way, will give you more confidence in working with female seeds. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Why 99.9% female seeds

We can guarantee that 99% of our seeds give rise to female plants when grown under the right circumstances. This means at least 999 of the 1000 plants are female under normal conditions. Every batch of seeds is tested for reliability and receives a batch-number. If unforeseen problems may ever occur the whole batch can then be eliminated.

Edited by NotDave

You sound like the travelling salesman from Female seeds Notdave :peace:

I reckon Nirvana seeds are quite ok, through thier cheap homebrand approach they prolly sell more than anyone else thereby spreading the herb to thousands of ppl :peace:

... just a matter of preference i guess

but i am going to try them grapefruit fem seeds one day soon just to satisfy my own curiousity :)

Is the grapefruit a big yeild ?

:peace:

Edited

You sound like the travelling salesman from Female seeds Notdave

rofl, I was going to write "geezus im starting to sound like a bloody salesman"

It's just that i've only tried 3 of their strains and all 3 have blown me away, very impressed with their genetics (the fact that you can get them in 4 packs, the fact that theyre cheap, and the fact that theyre feminised are just bonuses :peace:)

I reckon Nirvana seeds are quite ok, through thier cheap homebrand approach they prolly sell more than anyone else thereby spreading the herb to thousands of ppl

i agree, there's definately a need for cheap seeds. You can get the odd gem from Nirvana seeds too because of the variation :peace:

I also am very wary of female seeds, for example 4 Grapefruit seeds cost $50, greater than 90% female so maybe you get all females, but they say only 65% stable!

Yes - unlike other breeders they actually tell you how reliable they are :peace:

But Grapefruit is 80% stable, im not sure where you got 65% from

Look for ones that have "Variation: 2" down to 0 (with 0 being a fully stabilised strain almost like a clone - Easy Bud is one)

I guess ive been lucky in that I've always got the main phenotype, but I reckon even if you got a different pheno it'd probably still be pretty bloody good!

but i am going to try them grapefruit fem seeds one day soon just to satisfy my own curiousity

Is the grapefruit a big yeild ?

The yield is quite respectable yes, and very unique looking buds. It's 75% Cinderella 99 (also a personal favourite due to her pineapple qualities and soaring sativa high), but the "fruity Skunk" that they crossed it with really changes it into something completely different yet still superb.

I'd say if you want POTENCY go with ICE

If you want FLAVOUR go with Cinderella 99 or Grapefruit

If you want YIELD go with Skunk Special or Easy Bud

(just from the FemaleSeeds indoor line that is)

Just do yourself a favour and invest in a 4-pack to try the next time you go seed shopping :)

Im not sure if their Cinderella 99 is stabilised for the pineapple phenotype though (which is the one you want) - they dont mention pineapple at all *shrug* (but at seedboutique you can still get Wally Duck C99 pineapple-pheno F5's - stable! regular seeds, not femmed)

Edited by NotDave