Fungas Gnats

i battled with these buggert for 9 crops. i havent had one in 6 months! since last summer thank god.

worst thing they do is promote pythium. and when that kicks in, the warmer months especially, it will ruin your yields. so you must treat them

interms of killing them! thats a difficult thing. i tried microbial. litres of it. adding it to the tank and daily drenching at very high doses. even spraying the slabs neat. they just drink the shit. forget it. i went through 15 litres of it in 3 crops, it is not as effective as the marketing would have u suggest.

i used oxyplus in the tank daily and also as a drench. i still use it but it didnt kill the knats i had. i use it to prevent pythium espectially when in veg.

only partially successful treatment i found was using mavrik as a drench. its a pesticide from bunnigns. cheap, mix it at 5ml per litre (half recommended dose) and drench medium. apply again 7 days later. i didnt flush it out i just let it run into the rez. it didnt harm the plants. i know you can use it at 10ml per litre, but i went on the conservative side. also spray the plants with it, as it will kill the flying ones. it seemed to work, but the buggers came back.

eventually i gave up on them and did this:

1. once the infected crop finished, i flea bombed the room, then cleaned all pipes, tubs, rez, floors etc with bleach

2. got a new strain. the previous one was a weak bitch

3. most important thing - cover your medium. make sure it is light proof. i was using rockwool slabs and they were getting algae on them which attracts them. they love the algae. i covered the slabs with panda film so no light penetration = no algae. and no knats!

4. second is to put pantyhose over all your intake vents. stop the buggers getting in. this also stopped the spider mites. i havent had them for 6 months! and spray all entry points around doors etc with barrier spray.

happy to say i havent had a knat or a mite for 6 months. ive had whitefly, easy to kill with mavrik spray.

good luck!

OK I drenched using Maverick , I hope it doesnt hurt ! Couldnt find anything about Pythium , maybe someone could tell me what is is ?

Also , I have noticed a BULGE in the stem of a plant about an inch or two above the soil ,, any ideas ? I will post a pic if needed . Cant wait to get some Perlite , never had this shit before !

Cheers

CG

Edited by Closet Grower