Sylvania or Sunmaster?

Hello there

I just have two questions.

Has anyone ever flowered with a 1000w MH Sylvania globe OR a 1000w MH Sunmaster globe (Neutral spectrum only)?

I can still get solid buds right?

And is there a difference between the Sylvania brand 1000w MH Neutral spectrum and the Sunmaster 1000w MH Neutral spectrum globes?

Apart from about $15 is there any other difference?

Well, they're made by different companies. The difference between good quality globes, (preferably BU in the case of 1000w MH units, as they put out more light) is probably minimal.

Look for MH globes that have MS, which is a kind of super metal halide. Or at least that's what they call it. The different companies will have slightly different mixes in their arc tubes, which will give out slightly different spectra. The way the bulb is designed could give an advantage in lumens, but it's usually something below 10% at the most, more like 2-5% if there is one.

Ask for figures. Get the lumens and PAR watts for each globe. This will tell you the truth behind whether you think it's better to spend the extra 15 bucks. (Note, BU are usually more expensive than the same brand in U, as they produce more light.) It could be that you are comparing the price on a Universal to a Base Up Only. Ask the sellers this. What kind of shade do you have by the way? China hat/parabolic or horizontal shade?

the SunMaster pts out 2000 more lumins that the sylvania... both are great globes.. but you would be better with the HPS globe for flowering...as the HPS wil give you fatter and more solid buds.. how ever, if cash is tight , and usually is, the MH will still grow a decent crop.. more than enough to afford anothe light...

sunmaster nutral delux at 442parwatts gives out 117000 lumins

sylvania super metal arc (doesnt say par watts) puts out 115000lumins...

the sunmaster globes are designed especially for growing.. so Ive been told...so go for that one

I found out about the sunmasters after researching freq charts after the compact freq specific fluoro's came out and after a chat with a GE bod who said that all hid's are 92% inefficient ! ,

I found the eye globes but couldnt afford them! and i think they need their own control gear?

Anyways the Sunmaster "Cool Deluxe" was an affordable version of a real deal Blue MH , The results are MAD very rarely does a product match up to claims in this game , but i Did see over 20% more internode action , more side branching and the plants ere nice and compact with no need for tipping ,

It seems the uv-blue end of the spectrums are what cause the plants to track the sun , like sunflowerrs so even with a room full of 600w hps that all turn to give praise to 'Ol Bluey"

An elf eye no ran 3000w of blue mh then on the Turn _ = 8 600w luca/sont hps 1 sunmaster 600w conversion mh in hps ballast and 4 400w sont/lucagrow underlights!!!

The cross over area's of hps and MH blue are amazing the par watts must synergise or something as the buds are exceptional in these area's!!!

Rating in lumens from my research is inaccurate as you could have a mega bulb putting out 250,000 but if the plant is filtering and rejecting 70% then you might as well as used a smaller light and less power , sunmaster are rare in listing the par watts on thir packets , cool, deluxe is 320w for a 1000 globe!

Edited by Elf ex planet hairy

both companys make two-three types

Sylvania makes a metalarc MH good for veg only the other one is a supergro i think its called with added red spectrum for flowering

Sunmaster makes the cool,netural and warm delux

so a little hard to know what bulbs u are talking about also running the adjusta shade u will need either a horizontal or unerversal bulb it will be printed on the bulb as H or U dont buy the BU as luke mentioned

All horticultural HID lamps will grow and flower plants very satisfactorily. Some will be slightly better in flowering, some will be slightly better in vegging, but in the end, it's not a spectacular amount of difference.

If you can afford two lamps, go for it. If you can't, don't beat yourself up about it, you can still grow plants well :scratchin:

Yeah I've got an adjusta shade.

Umm the bulb I'm looking at is the neutral version for vege and flower.

I still haven't bought one yet but need to before I start growing.

So the sylvannia one doesnt do vege and flower? only Sunmaster does?

the one ur looking at would be the Supergro from Sylvania it has added red for flowering or go with the Sunmaster warm delux the good thing about the sunmaster lamp it comes in both the original size jacket and small jacket (the size of a 400w) so if u decide to use a aircooled hood the bulb will slip strait in