Grow Op in Brisbane

well, first of yeah i'm canadian, but i've never grow outdoors not even back home. this will be my first, and since i don't have a garden, it'll have to be in the forest somewhere near brisbane city. i've seen some interesting spots in google earth that have no houses or people, just wilderness, that's where im planning. Since it's winter now though the wait goes until mid august before i plant though. I read in high times magazine (i wish i could get that here) like 2 years back that bone meal is risky because of mad cow disease, so i dunno about that.. for water supply i'm planning to use those water absorbing crystals in the soil, so they'd have water whenever they want it, any feedback would be appreciated, Peace

Hey dude id admire your enthusiasm , the stuff about mad cow wont apply australia i assume would be pretty well free of that , all the blood and bone comes from the abbatoirs and nothings goin through there with mad cow i can tell ya that , plus im not sure that youd be able to get it through smoke id assume itd kill it of before it reached your lungs or even the plant itself ,. Google earth would give you a good idea of the terrain but still its not enough you have to go there camp for awhile over winter would be good a weekend here a weekend there sus it right out .

I live in sydney at the moment but have speant some time living in brisbane and from memory the best and closest spots would be out towards caloundra near the glass house mountains , or west out towards the an area called the gap wheres its abit rain foresty maybe this is too much info but that would be my choices for someone living in brisbane , if you dont have wheels even some of this maybe difficult , your gona need a car . TO transport soil manure , water if need be , the crystal idea i use myself , but as it might keep them barely alive in the hottest days you cant rely on it , i also combine peat moss and make rows of beds etc thoroughs . Its not gona be easy you have to understand theres so much that can go against you bro , but we persevere . Another good idea is a drum filled with water with slow drippers very slow as this also cant be relyed on you have to commit to watering periodically , its about survival and unless your there nurturing dont expect massive yeilds . Its a good climate there so with abit of preperation you might be lucky . Another fert i sometimes use is super phosphate , but best to manure the soil . If your planting next august it will have to be cow manure and id use some mushroom compost , any other manure takes to long to break donw and will burn ya plants .. ie chook , horse etc but cow wont burn . JUst try and prepare the ground well where your going to plant digging deep to loosen the soil adding peat moss and the crystals it dosnet take long and i prefer to use a garden hoe , which if you like you can cut short cost about 15$ bigw or bunnings etc .

good luck

thanks for the help, appreciated. but i still have to find out what the daylight length is outside, if it's over 14 hours i'll go ahead and plant right now, anyone know how to find this out? thanks, peace

dude007

So, no it's not more than 14 hours of daylight now and won't be for quite some time.

Quick sugestion buy a flouro tube and veg indoors out of the cold when there healthy and presexed move outside in winter to start flowering I got one in the ground in beginning of March and its going well prolly about 3/4 weeks to go.

This would be the best option I reckon but, would cost you probably $90 (e.g. from A Happy Medium Hydroponics in Browns Plains, Qld) bare minimum and that's just for one. :applause: