Police want more power

I was just watching the news on channel 7 and one of the reports they were doing was that police are asking for more powers when it comes to tapping phones calls reading peoples sms and emails and if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about thay say ( i dont trust anything coppers say on this type of thing), as if things wernt hard enough for stoners and there safty with the way things are now if this gets passed it will make it even harder againe, it makes you think what sort of powers are the coppers going to ask for next...

;), you should know by now if ya smoke pot ya give up ALL your rights, the right to work, the right to drive, the right to ..... be fucking happy...

on a serious note tho, this is just the thing Ive been saying for some time..they are already doing it in america..... so it wasnt long b4 they pushed it here..

this is a blantent disregard for human rights and the right to privacy.....but as a I said....in this world, if ya smoke pot..

YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS

yay we are becoming like america.yay

hey, I just noticed this is my 50th post....my half century... holds bat in the air, thankx guys.. :;):

Edited by SukonmiSkunk

ABC Online Transcipt of interview on AM 15-Feb 06

Reporter: Nick McKenzie

The President of the NSW Council for Civil Liberties is Cameron Murphy.

CAMERON MURPHY: Well, this is the first time ever in Australia's history that we see the police being given the power to tap the phones of people who are not suspects, who are innocent people and just people who happen to be in contact with someone likely to be in contact with someone who's a criminal and it massively expands police surveillance and it's directly targeted against innocent people who are doing nothing wrong.

NICK MCKENZIE: The Attorney-General says any such phone tapping will be subject to strict oversight, strict regulation and used only as a last resort - all protections, according to the Attorney-General, against the abuse the powers.

CAMERON MURPHY: Well, I don't have the confidence to trust the Attorney-General when he says that it'll be subject to strict oversight. We see in Australia already that Australian phones are 26 times more likely to be bugged than an American phone.

There's much more phone tapping in Australia than in any other nation on earth and judicial oversight has done nothing to stem that.

Most warrants that are asked for by police are granted by the courts and there's very little scrutiny over the process. ;) ;)

The changes to existing telecommunication interception laws will be introduced into Federal Parliament tomorrow.

A spokeswoman for the Attorney-General says under the changes, phone taps placed on people not suspected of committing any crime would be subject to strict regulations and judicial oversight.

;)

heard about this on sunrise today its bull shit but who here talks on the phone anyways? if your the only one who knows about ur indoor GR than u cant talk to ya self ;) emails just dont use ur server emails to talk about anything sign up a free hotmail account anyone could be using this.... i doubt these new laws will pass they did say on sunrise no matter wether its approved or not leo will still need to apply to a judge for a warrant due to our privacy laws there is no way of working around this

That is were i heard it Gazza this morning on sunrise, as if the coppers dont have enough power as it is, if we keep going on like this befor long we will be throwen in the slammer just haveing a voice on something or we were wearing the wrong clothing WTF is this world coming...