fungus knat larvae - how to tell if its dead?

guys

i have an infestation of fungus knats (along with pythium ) in 2 of 3 G-rooms. all the roots were brown and slimy. the leaves were dying (yellow, brown, brittle).

i have been flushing the grodan slabs (in crop boxes) with 5ml per liter of microbial and also adding 2ml per litre of microbial to the nutrient solution for the past 2 weeks. i have also sprayed the underside of the plants where the scarid fly have been observed - firstly with a lot of confidor, then 3 days later with with mortein house and garden.

after 2 weeks if you look under the crop boxes there are some very thick, white and healthy roots sticking out amongs the dead roots. also there is 6 inches of very healthy green leaf and stems growing on top. i attribute this to the microbial.

there are no more pests crawling over the grodan slabs (whereas initially they were all over it!). and every now and then there is a fly or two around (which i mortein to death). however when i dig into the grodan slabs, i find that there are larvae in there attached to the roots. my question is, are these larvae dead??? they dont move at all, they are just there. have i killed them or are they going to hatch??? i was told that the knats have a 14 day life cycle

by the way, i have been discussing the use of microbial with the manufacturer (hydro-masta) to combat scarid fly. he's response to me are as folows for your information:

1. Yes 5 mls per litre total drenching of media (rockwool)

You also need to knock the adults either by fly traps or fly spray.

Also try brown or white vinegar in a 40ml cup place this at the base of the plant the flys hate it.

2. Be patient the bug has a 14 day cycle so you have to break this. Dose tank at 5 mls per litre then take a watering can with a shower head and pour over media. This will sterilize the media so it wont attract the fly also clean up any leaf matter that maybe lying around.

you will gradually see the fly number reduce did you get the yellow fly traps?

No need to spray surface as you are drenching.

also dump and flush tank at day 7 then repeat treatment for another 7 days this should fix the problem.

I use the following if I ever encounter your problem-

post-6583-1135579285_thumb.jpg

Scarid Fly Drench has been designed to combat the Scarid Fly and Fungas Gnat.Scarid Fly are attracted to moist and organic mediums where they cause the most damage by the larvae chewing on and devouring fine root hairs, leaving them exposed to harmful bacteria which they may carry themselves such as pythium.Scarid Fly Drench is used by adding it to your nutrient tank allowing it to pass through the medium and eradicate the larvae.

hi guys, im not really into the drenches as iv noticed a decline in yield as plants are using there energy fighting the bug and poison, much better sesults if using lorsban kills every thing but a bit hard to find try commercial growers of tomatos ,cucumber or even a good florist, only spray once when lights off until dripping from leaves then the under side and of course after a watering spray pot under the rim and top ao soil. 5 days later there should be nothing alive in your room, apply same does this time concentrate on the pots as the larvea could be about to hatch, and again five days later.

i would do a weekly dose of the microbial for another 2-3 weeks just to make sure of their death...

also, when you get the chance, do a total steralization of the grow room...clean every pot, start with all new medium and if you are gonna use clones from your plants, make sure that they will not contaminate the newly cleaned grow rooms.

those bugs are a bastard to fully eradicate so once you have them all killed and the grow rooms steralized, make some upgrades to prevent those tiny bastards access to your plants , after all, prevention is better than a cure :smoke

also where do u get the scarid fly drench syndey guy?

The scarid fly drench I bought should be available in most Hydro stores in NSW? I bought mine in Sydney over the counter. If you can get it over the counter in your state than it will be cheaper and certainly faster. If your having problems finding it you can get it at this link-

http://hydroponicsolutions.com.au/shop_onl...=91&ParentID=90

You can get the Maverik at that link as well which other's have mentioned. There's heaps of internet places that sell these products so if your not happy about the price than just do a google search on 'scarid fly' and that should give you other links :smoke

Scarid Fly Drench

is illegal and you cant buy it anymore, unless you lucky to find some old stock.

I didn't know that Ferengi. Do you know why they changed it's classification? From what say you must have used it before and found it was pretty good? The stuff surely stinks-even closed I have to keep it wrapped in plastic in another container to contain the smell :smoke