Cannabis high 'eases joint pains'

BBC News Wednesday, 9 November 2005, 07:57 GMT

Cannabis high 'eases joint pains'

David Blake, professor of bone and joint medicine

The authors now want to conduct a larger trial to back up their findings

A study by scientists in Bath shows cannabis can significantly ease the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.

Taken in medicine form, the class C drug was shown to improve the pain of movement, pain at rest, quality of sleep and ease inflammation.

The researchers say the element of the drug which creates a potential "high" is an essential therapeutic component and cannot be removed.

The authors now want to conduct a larger trial to back up their findings.

Fifty-six patients took part in the 49-day trial led by David Blake, professor of bone and joint medicine at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, Bath, and the University of Bath.

Cannabis trial results

On a scale of 0-10 for pain on movement, with 0 equalling no pain, those sufferers taking the CBM reduced their pain from 7 to 4.8

Those on the placebo cut their pain from 6.7 to 5.3

Regarding quality of sleep, those on the CBM reduced their pain from 5.7 to 3.4, while the placebo group moved from 5.8 to 4.6

On a scale of 0-100 for intensity of pain at present, patients taking CBM reduced pain from 48 to 33, while those on the placebo stayed the same at 50

Of those, 31 were given a cannabis-based medicine (CBM) - brand name Sativex - while 27 received a placebo.

Sativex uses two key components from a cannabis plant which are shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.

Patients took the medicine in the evening via a mouth spray and started with one dose, gradually building up to a maximum of six doses.

The results of the trial, published in the medical journal Rheumatology show that the CBM produced "statistically significant" results.

Good news :hahadance:

Thanks for that Musha.. :thumbsup

The missus has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for over a year now.. :thumbdown

She had Ross river fever the year before and when pain in her joints continued tests were done and she was diagnosed with R.A.

She has been taking Celebrex and has been on 3 seperate courses of steroids as well as some other shit...I'm sure both of them are no good for the body.. :thumbdown

She hasnt smokes weed for about 20 years now but I think its time she gave it a go.. :smoke . I've been at her for months to give it a go again , maybe your article may help here decide.. :devilred:

cheers

Thanks for that Musha.. :thumbsup

The missus has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for over a year now.. :thumbdown

She had Ross river fever the year before and when pain in her joints continued tests were done and she was diagnosed with R.A.

She has been taking Celebrex and has been on 3 seperate courses of steroids as well as some other shit...I'm sure both of them are no good for the body.. :thumbdown

She hasnt smokes weed for about 20 years now but I think its time she gave it a go.. :smoke . I've been at her for months to give it a go again , maybe your article may help here decide.. :devilred:

cheers

lol mate sorry to hear that .. RRF is a mo fo disease ... and very happy that it may help convince her to give the cannacure a try .. best of luck dude.

Mush lol

very interesting smokingjesus.. :toke:

some more info would be nice.. :doh: what type of arthritis..which joints ache the most..what strain of weed you smoke..any thing at all.. :)

Mushaman Posted Nov 11 2005, 12:29 AM

and very happy that it may help convince her to give the cannacure a try .. best of luck dude.

bit late in my reply mush, :toke: she hasnt yet mate.. :toke: just means I gotta smoke her share too.. :bow:

since my post last november things havent changed too much.. :doh:

wife takes celebrex, methotrexate, plaquenil and plednisolone atm..sounds like bad shit to me.. :doh:

I would love it if she could stop taking all that shit..

Edit.. I believe her R.A. was triggered from Ross river fever.. mosquito bastards.. :doh:

i'm not sure what exactly is wrong with my joints (in my hands)

but when they start hurting pretty much any type of weed helps...

the better stuff doesn't leae me glued to me seat but.. ehh...

around here people are getting busted left and right.. theres nothing too good floating around.. :( it sucks but I deal with it knowing that someday i'll be free to grow my own..

but marijuana has helped with all my problems...

Stomoch pain, joint pain, headaches(unless I got it after I already smoked). But Its my cure to all pains... I love it.. and its fun.. and I can function on it... AHHH i'm so excited thinking about it!!

i suffered a very unfortunate injury a couple of months back involving an ex-s boyfriend and a...er...butcher knife

anyway i came out with a couple of scars and a nice chuck of bone missing out of my wrist. so from my wrist down to my pinky nail is numb (on and off) and i find if i dont have my daily mj i get sharp pains like someone is grabbing my wrist real tight...fuckin annoying...

yeah but now im just complaining...

you should really convince your missus to try mj again...it certainly helps alot of other people :(