Experimenting with water-cloning.

Guest Eikel

they just seem to root heaps easier in the water and if they have no probs being transplanted into the rockwool cubes then into their final destination, it could reduce cloning time by heaps and give much better results  ;)

That's what I'm excited by WDC, I'm hoping this is the case for all strains and not just a fluke.

That's why my second experiment has started tonight, I took another cutting from a different mother-plant, trimmed the internode and sliced a 45-degree cut around 1cm below the internode that was trimmed. The plant was then inserted into a glass of water (Note, this time I didn't use clonex), and has had the humi-crib placed on it.

I've taken a pic of the new cut and an additional pic of the roots of the first clone, suprisingly I got a few good shots of it's roots.

post-4190-1125390215_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1125390250_thumb.jpg

so hows it going ? love to hear of the outcome ... that was one big cutting btw or maybe mine were just undersize .. heheh  :D

Hey Mushaman,

Thanks for reminding me of this grow-thread, I completely forgot about it.

Well, both clones are still alive, I change the water every 24-48 hours.

They both have roots, however the benefit of clonex is clear, the plant that had clonex before being put into water has root "stubs" coming out all up and down its stem. The plant with no clonex only really has the one visible root coming out of a submerged node-point that was trimmed. The plant that had no clonex only took 48 or so hours to show the root out of the node-point.

Both plants were given 1/2 strength nutes when I changed their water tonight, they are both already growing with the small root structures they currently have.

I plan on transplanting the original experimental plant into CoCo tomorrow night, with the appearance of all the white root-stubs on the stem it's clearly time to do it unless you were growing aeroponic or DWC.

No pics sorry, I went to take some and the camera ran outta batteries.

Heya Elkel

no worries dude .. thats why we're all here :P

cuttings and clones are on my mind coz i just did my first lot .. so far so good ...

I was reading something recently about cloning in water .. thought you had to take em out after a week or two (wich is prob what you're planning :D )

I'll be looking forward to seeing your update pix when you get yer batteries charged :P

:smoke

cuttings and clones are on my mind coz i just did my first lot .. so far so good ...

I was reading something recently about cloning in water .. thought you had to take em out after a week or two (wich is prob what you're planning :blink: )

I'll be looking forward to seeing your update pix when you get yer batteries charged :rolleyes:

Hey Mushaman, yet another thread I started and forgot to update. :whistling

Well, I'm quite impressed with the results of water-cloning, my 2 clones were transplanted into CoCo a few weeks back and are now starting to get root-bound in the 250ml cups that I put them in.

My personal take is water-cloning could possibly be the easiest fastest method to take clones where you don't need to transport them. I think rockwool is the go if you need to send clones via the post.

Out of the clones, here was the results:

Clone 1 (BDS):

Roots visible at 52 hours, ready for transplant after approx 5 days.

Clone had stem "stripped" to provide more surface for roots to strike out of and was coated in Clonex before being placed into the water.

Clone 2 (BIG Indica):

Roots visible at 48 hours, ready for transplant after approx 7 days.

Clone only had stem cut and base-internode point trimmed, no clonex was used. Roots formed just as quickly but were not as thick and numerous as Clone 1.

So yeah - water cloning rocks! I will be water-cloning for all my personal clones from now on. :thumbsup

If people are interested I'm willing to do a "pictorial" on water-cloning in the same vein as my rockwool-cloning thread. You can find all the info you need in here, but if people want, I'll do up an official "Eikel's water-cloning method" pictorial :/

Eikel :bow i read this thread the other day decided to test it i took two cutting one of some weed from my neighbours garden growing thru my fence and a gum tree cutting look at the weeds roots i took both cutting on 11/02/2006 @ 1:13pm the pictures were takin 13/02/2006 @ 6:15pm :thumbsup im going to be using this method every time so bloody easy i didnt even mist them gum tree looks to be rooting now its taking a little longer wonder why? but 24 hours for roots to show thats fucking amazing :reallyexcited: just only if i new about this method a long time ago also i didnt use any cloning gel or powder just strait water :thumbsup

just adding the lighting condition was very poor top shelf in the laundry light levels would have been around 1200 lumens

post-2209-1139815177_thumb.jpg

post-2209-1139815245_thumb.jpg

post-2209-1139815308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gazza2001au

Hey Gaz, yeah it's a good method huh? :)

I found if you add seasol to the initial water your cuts go into, they will produce MORE thicker roots in a shorter timefrae, similar to the affects of clonex, but even faster.

Just plain water also works well, but takes slightly longer to establish a big root mas after the micro-roots appear.

Glad you like it! :P

i thinks its a mad idea :thumbsup this explains alot i havent taking "rooted clones" in about 5 years back than i left 3 clones in a cup of water for 48 hours than planted into the rockwool and has success i tryed about 2 years ago and not long ago both didnt root now im thinking those first clones had started to work on producing roots just before i planted them i will be using this water method every time without fail :thumbsup so bloody easy they need no care just cut,dip,cover set'n forget :) ::P: but how big will the root system need to be before it can go it alone?

so bloody easy they need no care just cut,dip,cover set'n forget :)  ::P: but how big will the root system need to be before it can go it alone?

Yeah, the simplicity factor was why it excited me when I first stumbled across it... the official tute I wrote on it is here:

http://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=11544

I typically wait till the roots are about 1cm long, this is when I'll move to medium, rockwool clones I even move slightly earlier as the roots need to be closer to the stem to penetrate the rockwool. Soil and CoCo from water will AMAZE you at how fast the pots root out.

good work Eikel,

Ive done this too, years ago, with just a glass of water on a heat pad, no clonex and it took about 4 weeks..but the glass was full of roots.. about 6-7 days before i noticed any thing tho...

I tried it becuase my Nanna( Grandma) used to it like this all the time with all sorts of crap, in jars just sitting on the back porch.. incredible they way plants work like that I reckon

again top work mate...