Experimenting with water-cloning.

Guest Eikel

I was just experimenting with cloning a plant in just plain old water, tapwater not even ph-adjusted.

I don't mind if the clone dies with no roots, it was just a topping from a plant that was too tall for the lighting.

Anyway, I did my usual cut, trimmed off 3 nodes, sliced the base of the stem at 45-degrees and coated in clonex. I then placed it in a glass full of tap-water at room temprature (around 19 celcius).

The clone has a ghetto coke-bottle humi-crib and is under 2 x 18w grow-lux fluros along with my other clones. Lighting is 18/6. I should also mention, root-zone temps are around 25 celcius.

post-4190-1125108821_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

Well, the experiment was a success, much to my amazement.

The clone has 2 x 1cm roots protuding out of the highest node-point that is submerged, the stem has a single 1.5cm root coming out at the tip of where it was cut at the 45-degree angle. There are also several root "stubs" potruding out from internode points and the cut stem itself.

I change the water every 24 hours, just plain old tank-water (filtered rainwater) no nutes or additives or anything.

Here's the best pic I could take of her, sucks because in the water you can clearly see the whitish-transparent roots "floating" where as out of the water they hang and "blend" onto the stem. I couldn't get any pics through the glass that showed the roots either ;)

Anyway, once they're a bit bigger (should only take a day or 2 at this rate), I'll post another pic showing the roots.

post-4190-1125303621_thumb.jpg

Not bad Elkel, after u put the cloneing gel on and placed in the water how long was it befor you started to notice the roots starting to form...
Top stuff mate, how long did that take

Thanks guys - I cut the clone around 11:00am on Saturday, I changed the water on Sunday night and didn't notice any roots. I went to change the water at 5pm today, and thats when I noted roots had formed.

So thats 52 hours turnaround on a clone with roots visible without magnification.

is the stem in the dark?

Nope, not at all the clone has a fair amount of folage, so it's reasonable covered from direct overhead light, but the glass is fairly clear as you can see from the first pic.

I'll update you of the progress of the clone as I note my observations, but thus far this experiment is blowing me out of the water, I should note, the normal time for this strain to show roots out of a 1" rockwool cube is 10 days. With the length of the roots the clone currently has, it only needs another 1cm of growth to penetrate the wall of a cube had it been placed in one.

i put a couple of cuttings in shot glasses of water last night that were going to die if i didnt do something soon...basically they had been trying to root for 2 weeks and were starting to die but less than 24 hours after being in the water, they have ALL shown roots that are like hairs and are showing signs of the thicker roots :thumbsup

the way the cuttings are going, im thinking i might do the same method next time from the begining and then transfer them to rockwool cubes untill roots show out and then transfer them...they just seem to root heaps easier in the water and if they have no probs being transplanted into the rockwool cubes then into their final destination, it could reduce cloning time by heaps and give much better results ;)