rockwool cubes question

Hi again sorry to ask all these silly questions but i have never used rockwool cubes and need a little help.

I have got my seeds and found that they say to use rockwool cubes to start them out. Now i have never used them before so i have a few questions.

1. What nut do i use to sock the rockwool cubes in?

2. Does the rockwool sit out in open or does it sit in a try with nut socking it?

3. Do i get the Rockwool cubes that are covered with holes?

4. Do i put them into the potting mix before the seeds open or after??

5. Will they work fine for outdoor growing?

6. What kind of potting mix works well with Rockwool cubes?

( you see i mix my own potting mix up most times with blood&bone and pot ash for a good food and nut mix for plants will this still be ok to use)

Just so you have an idea i have a mix sativa and blueberry in seeds this year other years i have only grow bag seeds so this time i want to make sure they have the best i can give them as it cost me enough for the seeds.

oh yes and a most important question i am going to be growing in a very humid hot greenhouse so what can i do to stop any mould starting on the rockwool as i have read a few other post of it and found lots of people had problems with mould and stuff growing on the outside of the cubes will the covered ones stop the moulding up?

Sorry to ask all these questions but i want to know as much as i can before i start up again and the time is near so here i am once more asking for your words of wisedom.

really wow ok but they say to use rockwool on there web site will the peat moss cubes be a better idea i have used them before just not the rockwool cubes. Why say to use them and that they work better if it not true i know suck you into more money..

God can see i opened something up here didnt i.

Glad i asked now come on what do the rest of you think??? bad idea or good idea i am well and truely lost once more

Hey Ozsky,

1) Any all purpose fert will be fine, as long as it is a very weak solution...1/4 - 1/8, of the advised strength....I use a weak mix of Maxicrop seaweed and Oxyplus for starting outdoors seeds.

2)If you grab a clean bucket, fill with (clean) water, add nutes, adjust ph to around 5.0, and then let the cubes soak for ateast 24 hours, the cubes will then be ready.

3)Doesn't really matter, if your just using the cubes to raise the seedling (as I guess you are), I would use the standard 1.5" cubes with the small pre-punched hole for seed/clone.

4)There are many ways, this is how I would go about it. Germinate seeds in prefered manner (i.e. Between moist paper towel, in warm dark enviro). Once seeds are cracked and the root is protruding out of the seed, place them (carefully) into pre-soaked cubes, with root pointing down. Place cubes in warm, dark enviro (keep moist). Once seedling has broken the surface of the cube, place it under fluro/shaded sunlight. Around a week or two of this (depending on how warm the cubes are kept) and you should see healthy white roots starting to protrude from the sides/bottom of cube. As light is bad for roots, you should now place seedlings in large pots. I have always just buried the cube straight into the final pot/ground.....Others seem to transplant twice, the benefits of which, maybe they can enlighten us both :scratchin . Once the seedlings have a few sets of leaves, they should be ready for the open sun.....Just keep an eye on them. :baaasmiley:

If you bury the cubes so the Potting mix covers over, mould shouldnt be a problem.....The green algae that loves RW, has little, if any negative effects on the plants anyways... :)

Hope it helps mate.

Rockwool is great for seed germination. The secret is to keep it simple.

1. Soak seeds in tap water for 12-24 hours.

2. Soak rockwool in PH 5.5 water overnight. If you have some oxyplus a half strength mix in the soak is a good idea but not essential.

3. Squeeze excess moisture out of cubes and place on a heating pad if you are in cold weather.

4. Use a nail or similar to make a hole in the centre of each cube. Plant seeds pointy end down about a centimtre from the surface.

5. Keep under 24 hour light and keep cubes moist but not soaking went.

thanks everyone helps alot

if you keep the cubes in a warm place do you mean in dark as well i have not quit got the idea here.

wouldn't i be ok to set up the seeds&cubes in the greenhouse to start of with as that is where they are going to grow in the end it will be hot and humid in the house to start with i am confused here. Do you have to have light on them for 24 hours a day i don't get it at all how am i to do that in outdoors. Wow boy trust a women to come up with lots of silly question sorry i am still confused maybe should cut out the cones till after i read the post heehee.

You know don't think that would help me somehow.

thanks to all that have helped me so far its not over yet but i am trying.

have a lovely day everyone and thank again you guys are the best when it comes to helping the little guy or girl out..

if you keep the cubes in a warm place do you mean in dark as well i have not quit got the idea here.

A seed doesnt need light until it has sprouted, until then it is best to keep them in the dark.

wouldn't i be ok to set up the seeds&cubes in the greenhouse to start of with as that is where they are going to grow in the end it will be hot and humid

That would be fine.

Do you have to have light on them for 24 hours a day i don't get it at all how am i to do that in outdoors

No. You can grow them under the sun from start to finish. But, if you have them under a 24 hour light, they will grow faster than if outside.

I'm a little less stoned today so hopefully my answers made a bit more sense. :)