I upgraded my lights.

Guest Eikel

37 aint that bad bro. my whole dd grow was close to that temp.

and look what i ended up with <---------  :smoke

why not try air cooled hoods  :)

Yeah Jjfto, I've found that the plants only start to show signs of stress under temps at 40+.

However, today I modified the grow-room, plugged all light-leaks and added an active intake (100mm fan, roughly 1/2 the capacity of my 150mm fan), after doing this and letting the room run for a couple of hours to test, I found temps weren't going over the 32-degree mark, which is fine.

I'm estimating when running the room in a 12/12 light-cycle during night my temps will average from 25-30, around perfect.

I thought about the air-cooled hoods, but the current work-around was easier to do :(

I'm estimating when running the room in a 12/12 light-cycle during night my temps will average from 25-30, around perfect.

I was wrong, the active-intake wasn't enough, temps were still getting to 40 celcius.

However, it's finally fixed, thanks to addition of another 25mm passive-intake and an upgrade to a 500cm/h 150mm centrifugal fan (old fan was a 324cm/h in-duct).

So there you go, it's hard, but possible, to cool 2 x 600w HPS's in a space smaller than 2m x 2m x 2m, my space is 1.01m/l, 1.59/w, 2.01/h.

Here's some pics of the upgrades (thanks to Coolcat's efforts mainly, thanks mate).

So thanks for all your advice guys, I think I basically did almost exactly what was suggested :)

post-4190-1124504950_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1124504999_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1124505035_thumb.jpg

post-4190-1124505054_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tom and Pure, I'm really keen on seeing how these guys perform compared to my last grow.

Yeah Skyhigh, it's worrying me too mate  :;):

I've seen my temps skyrocket under the new lights, the canopy-level is still cool enough to be comfortable, however with the current airflow my temps now averaging 37 deg instead of 25 deg.

Now, I'm not panicked because during my last grow which started during the end of summer, my plants tolerated 40+ deg days in the shed, but they drank a shitload more water than these plants that were grown in winter did.

My plan is to get another extraction fan and a Y-connector for ducting and to run it through my carbon filter. I'm also thinking of hooking up a small 100mm fan as an intake in addition to the current passive intakes.

I'm sure my current setup could easily cool a single 600w bulb (it took 2 x 400w's easy), but I'm figuring the extra fan will be needed under both 600w lights.

Forgot to mention, my grow box is 1.59w, 1.01d, 2.15h in metres.

Hi EIkel

I added a second 400wHPS in my growchamber about 2 weeks ago (its 2mtrs high, 1 metre deep and 2 meters wide) the heat in the room outside the chamber went from 26c to 33 even though i added another sweeping fan inside the chamber - inside the chamber it was around 35- I also have 2 x 200mm bathroom fans on top extracting from the chamber -

when i was planning my growroom 6 months ago, I decided i would need an aircon unit for summer so I got one on ebay - $335 delivered :thumbsup - it just got unpacked earlier than i thought - its really quiet and has a timer built in - I have attached that silver 250mm ducting to the back of it and I exhaust into the ceiling cavity - am planning to add ducting up to a whirlybird on the roof and add an ozone generator inline before the whirlybird - I'm hoping this will keep the aroma under control when the time comes

i don't know if you have the budget to get one but it completely solved the heat problem on the low setting - its back to 26 inside the chamber and 23c outside in the growroom - it removes heaps of humidity/water from the air into a chamber built into the unit - you can add a tube and run the water into a larger container (I'm emptying it twice a day for now ) I also read that bringing the nightime temp down for the plants gives a really good boost to their thc production :scratchin

if you wanna link to the company i bought it from let me know and i will dig it out.

hope this helps

i don't know if you have the budget to get one but it completely solved the heat problem on the low setting - its back to 26 inside the chamber and 23c outside in the growroom -  it removes heaps of humidity/water from the air into a chamber built into the unit - you can add a tube and run the water into a larger container (I'm emptying it twice a day for now )  I also read that bringing the nightime temp down for the plants gives a really good boost to their thc production :scratchin 

if you wanna link to the company i bought it from let me know and i will dig it out.

hope this helps

Hey Mushaman,

Glad you solved your problem, but so have I mate ;)

Temps have not gone above 33-deg the whole time since the upgrades, and thats running lights during the day.

I actually already have a portable evaporative (increases humidity by 20-30%) air-conditioner, but I've stopped using it - to tell you the truth the plants seem to like it better without the constant cool air being blown on them.

Thanks for the info though, I'll be looking for air-cons if I ever do a room-grow, so I may talk to you then ;)

Hey Mushaman,

Glad you solved your problem, but so have I mate ;)

Temps have not gone above 33-deg the whole time since the upgrades, and thats running lights during the day.

I actually already have a portable evaporative (increases humidity by 20-30%) air-conditioner, but I've stopped using it - to tell you the truth the plants seem to like it better without the constant cool air being blown on them.

Thanks for the info though, I'll be looking for air-cons if I ever do a room-grow, so I may talk to you then :)

Hi EIkel,

yeh, I noticed you had it sussed after I wrote you the long screed on the a/c ;)

I'm still learning how to use the forum .... ;) gettin there slowly I think - still have to sharpen up my growing skills also ;) I knocked the plug for my nute soultion pump out yesterday and the roots sucked air for about 5 hours ... very sad

hey just wonderin

when u upgrade lights, do u need a new ballast

eg

can i put a 600w globe in my 400w hood?

i have a 400w, but all this talk about 600w + 1000w, has got me keen,

what prices are u looking at for a 600w or a 1000w

i picked my 400w up for like 160 bucks a few years ago, i never bother to check out any other prices,

heheh i actually walked 2kms down a busy road with it, ballast in my backpack, heavy as fuk it is, and a big " sunmaster" box in both hands,

it was same with a 100litre i think bag of perlite, same street, people musta seen and knew

Hi Denskeone,

hey just wonderin

when u upgrade lights, do u need a new ballast

eg

can i put a 600w globe in my 400w hood?

You can put a 600w globe in a 400w hood if it will fit, however if your 400w hood has a built-in ballast, I would not even try it.

I've heard of ballasts that support different wattage globes, but I've always bought globe+ballast when getting a new light.

i have a 400w, but all this talk about 600w + 1000w, has got me keen,

what prices are u looking at for a 600w  or a  1000w

i picked my 400w up for like 160 bucks a few years ago, i never bother to check out any other prices,

I paid $190 per 600w Ballast, globe + lamp-cord.

You should be able to pickup a 1000w globe/cord/ballast and a 600w globe/cord/ballast brand new for no more than $450.00 any higher and the seller has their margins set to high.

Next upgrade for me will be a 1000wMH to sit alongside the 2x600w HPS's, however I'll have to wait till I have a larger growing area to do that.