germination and sprouting

hi,

this is my first post here. i am starting a small grow of just a couple of plants at home, and ive cracked the seeds between 2 sheets of coffee filter paper. when they had opened i put the into styrophome cups filled with soil with holes for drainage. its been about 5 days now and they havent come up through the surface. they r outside the house and its been verry cold here in the last week or so, so i was wondering how much the temperature would affect them? would i be better to put them under fluros or something?

thanx for ur help :peace:

Hi and welcome to the site lovabilly

seeds don't actually need light to break through , however the require it to be there when they break the surface, the more important factor at this stage is a little bit of heat , If I was you I would bring the cups inside and put them near your hot water heater , of ontop of a heating mat , then just ad a single compact fluro over them so that theur is light when they break through and need it it will also provide a very minimal heat source

High there lovabilly, welcome to Oz Stoners.

I would say that after five days they are no longer viable, if you have some more seeds then plant them in some potting mix in some small pots or seedling trays, put them in a warm place indoors and dampen the soil, don't mess with them again except to moisten the soil, you will see viable ones break the surface in 3 - 10 days depending on the quality of the seeds. Once they have sprouted stick them under fluoro's for the first week or two before exposing them to a HID or outdoors if the season is right.

:peace:

I've had 1 seed break through the surface overnight :peace: and had it's cotyledons and first set of proper leaves. Alas that seedling had to be pulled due to fungus gnats B)

I rekon if they don't pop within the first week then I personally wouldn't bother about em. Some seeds are good and some aren't.

thanks heaps for the tips, and the warm welcome also ^_^

ill bring them inside and see how it all goes. i had them outside so the sun would hit them when they did come up, but ill deff bring em in now, cuz it has been real cold. and ill get myself a fluro too.

thanks again :)

lovabilly

ps. whats fungus gnats and how is it caught?