Driving Drug Tests July 1

• Admin

RANDOM drug testing of Tasmanian drivers is likely to start next month as the State becomes only the second in Australia to target motorists high on illicit drugs.

Police Minister David Llewellyn yesterday said testing devices had been ordered and the legislation, passed by Parliament in March, would be proclaimed to take effect from July 1.

"If the technology has arrived, testing will begin on that date," Mr Llewellyn said.

The new regime, which will involve random breath tests of motorists at targeted sites such as nightclubs or dance parties, makes Tasmania only the second state to introduce drug testing of drivers.

Victoria introduced a similar system last December, while NSW is expected to launch a 12-month trial of roadside drug testing in the second half of this year.

Drivers who return a positive breath analysis for a range of drugs including cannabis and amphetamines will be required to undergo a further blood test before prosecution.

Details of the implementation of drug-driver testing came as the State Opposition claimed an increase in illicit drug use in Tasmania could be contributing to a rise in assaults and road fatalities.

Figures released at the weekend showed drugs such as ecstasy, speed and cannabis were causing up to 15 admissions a day at the Royal Hobart Hospital or 5500 every year.

In the North-West there have been more than 40 attendances related to recreational drug use other than alcohol during the past year.

Shadow police minister Peter Gutwein said he was concerned there could be a link between drug use in Tasmania and a near doubling of offences against the person since 1998-99.

Mr Gutwein said it was also possible that rising drug use had contributed to an increase in road fatalities during the past four years.

"We need to understand whether drugs are playing are part in these statistics," Mr Gutwein said.

Mr Llewellyn told Parliament there were "some inter-relationships" between the factors and that offences and assaults were, to some extent, related to drug matters.

Author: AMANDA ALLIE

Date: 15/06/05

Source: The Advocate

Copyright: The Advocate

"We need to understand whether drugs are playing are part in these statistics," Mr Gutwein said.
You would think that they would find that out before they started prosecuting people that had a couple of cones the night before, that makes both Vic and Tas a risky place for a stoner to visit.

:peace:

well, thats another state that I will not be visiting any time soon.

Wish I was bold enough to be breathalized, busted, and fight it...

yeah i dont think i'll be around tasmania anytime soon either B)

personally i would hate to get busted for drug driving but if in the event i did get busted, i would stop smoking pot completely untill after the court hearing, etc. and use the excuse that my friend had a party and i smoked a shit load of pot :peace:

Tom said in the Victoria drug driving thread that we have a limit of 0.05 for alcohol, but what is a safe limit for other drugs? i think the police belive "illegal" drugs should have zero tolerance in the system and no matter what, if its in your system, your drug driving :thumbdown