whats the problem or is it a problem

Hi everybody,

This is a post on behalf of a relly,

The pictures show 1 of several mj plants Breed unknown) grown from seed in a shed with skylight, they are based on a soil/perlite & ferts mix (with some water crystals in base) in pots (hand watered);

. The pots are 10-12 inch

. Potting mix with 25% perlite

. All purpose slow release fert

. Blood & Bone fert

. water crystals

Watered on the odd occasion with some Growrite mix but otherwise just straight good old Tassie water.

They have been budding for a while now and look very strong & healthy in the buds although they are relatively small in height and are not bushy (mainly buds on main stem).

I was mainly wondering about the purple coloured leaves, is this a deficiency or is it a breed related feature ?

anyway here they are !

Edited by maxgrow

Sorry but to me that looks fucked. :blink:

My gut feeling is that its been getting too cold for the plant.

But it also could be a nutrient deficiency eg- too many or wrong ph.

eg- phosphorus.

But ya said your in tas? so i reakon its from the cold.

If it was a strain thing the flowers would be purple and the leaves green.

hey mate ........ your gonna get some smoke off her but , imo, ganja plants don't like slow release ferts ..... you never really know how much fert they are getting , plus if your in the shed , with no hd lights on in tassie it would be to cold .no need to add water crysals either mate ..... the ganja likes to dry out totally before re- watering , else you will over water . you should be using some canna - spec nutes for flowering too ...... still nice effort mate .

Guest Eikel
But it also could be a nutrient deficiency eg- too many or wrong ph.

eg- phosphorus.

But ya said your in tas? so i reakon its from the cold.

I would say your first diagnosis is most accurate Ferengi.

If the plant is being fed Blood & Bone for ferts and not much else, it will be suffering a severe defiency - Blood & Bone has plenty of Nitrogen and Potassium, not much Phosphorous (I'm 99% sure that's correct - Luke, or anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong).

Purpling from cold weather is much more subtle than displayed by the plants in the pic, the part of the leaf where it joins the stem would have the most purple evident, the tips of the leaves remain green though.

So my reccomendation would be to treat the plants with some ferts that are high in their Phosphorus content. Or is it's lock-out due to PH, fix the PH.

Just my 2c, I take no responsibility if my advice screws your plants :whistling

Uhhhh...i think you might be wrong there elkel.

Blood and bone is high in Nitrogen and Phospherous, but not potassium.

Blood="This is packed with nitrogen"

Bone="packed with phosphorus"

(found above at some website)

I would say it's likely to be the cold weather, i have seen plants turn purple in colder weather and i live on sunshine coast, :blink:. I couldn't begin to imagine how bloody freezing it must be in tas right now.

EDIT: If it turns out to be a Potassium deficiency, you should try Potash. Reccomend 1 part to 10 parts of blood and bone meal will give you a great all round fertiliser.

Edited by Infinitee

Guest Eikel

Hey Infinitee, you're probably right there, wasn't sure if it was P or K that BnB was light on, I only remembered it was 2 of the 3 elements.

However, I can confidently say, that that plant is not showing symptoms of cold tempratures, if you read my first grow thread in the part where I chop my outdoor plant, I take close-ups of the purpling caused by tempratures around 1-5 deg celcius.

Symptoms of cold affect leaves, stem, and buds, the plants in the pic show no purpling on the buds themselves, and the leaves start purpling from the tips inward, the opposite of cold (but exactly like a deficiency).

I'd be saying you are correct, and it's a Potassium deficiency.

The poor girl is way too cold and she doesn't need either the slow release fertiliser or the water crystals, I would re-pot her into a well drained potting mix and give her some flower fertiliser, rose food or similar but don't overdo it, I wouldn't normally suggest transplanting at her stage of growth but she won't do all that much better in her present media. The shed also needs to be insulated as a matter of urgency or the plant(s) moving to a warmer environment. Also tell your rellie that she should not be removing the leaves from the plant, as it is not going to develop to its full potential without them.

:blink:

Guest Eikel

Is this a strain based thing Tom? My plants get to 0 overnight here and don't show symptoms like that. Or do you think these are getting below zero temps?

Just curious, I was only advising based offa 1 grow, and you have far more under your belt than I :blink: