Trichoderma viride? opinions?

Hi

Im a new member here and youll be seeing me mostly in the fungal and ethnobotanical forums

however i thought id drop in tao ask what you all think of the use of Trichoderma fungus in mies to control fungal root pathogens

For those who dont know Trichoderma is the forest green mould and it lives in woody debris where it breaks down the dead plant matter

It is non pathogenic/toxic to plants or humans and few allergic responses have been recorded

It is a fungus that gets introduced to soil or growing media to inhibit other fungi

Trichoderma exudes potent lytic enzymes as it grows that specifically target the cell membranes of other fungi and so dissolves the competition and feeds on the remains.

It is a bitch of a contaminant in mushroom culture for this very reason

however to you horticulturalists its gained popualrity in coir and peat mixes and in potting sils. in fact u probbaly know more than id do about suitability

which is why i m asking for some feedback

i need to know what you think of it, what form you want it in and how much you normally pay.

im just musing with the idea of making T viride spore syringes/solutions as i certainly have the technology to produce it en masse in liquid spore form.

alternatively i can make prcolonised cocopeat bags impregnated with the sporulating fungus, a jolly green bag of fun.

so please let me know whether i should pursue the matter

thanks

I use many types of benificial bactirias including 5 differnt types of trichaderma ( not sure on the exact amoutn as it's a bottled product but it says 5 new typoes and there at 30 speciese of enzymes fungi and bactieria all up )

most growers here will know what your talking about best as a product called bio bugs

bio bugs come in bottles of 15 grams , 50 grams , and 500 grams and if your interested in seing what it roughly costs it is available at the ozstoner headshop in the hydro section

think your idea is great in theroy and for other types of plants a great idea but it may not be suitable to the hydro or organic hydro grower as we do allot of flushign and can't alwasy garantee the organic food source for the fungi , instead we are giving a constant feed with somethign like bio bugs so thier life cycle doesn't matter so much trailings also serve as a source of organic food for the plant

If you can cultivate and package Trichoderma spp. (harzianum is the one from coco, there are others, and they are from different sources as well.) http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontr...richoderma.html

There is available a form of Trichoderma (spp. harzianum and lignorum) on the market in NTS 420, as well as being found naturally in cocopeat. I'm not sure if there is an actual Trichoderma spp. in Biobugs, but I do know they contain fungi. I for one would love to see someone else honestly and relatively cheaply produce trichoderma strains which would be available to purchase either retail or even wholesale for someone I know.

You should be careful to keep use-by dates realistic, or some kind of freeze drying of spore material in sugar or another long term food source for when they start to grow out in the media or even better if they could be sustained in the reservoir.... afaik you need to keep trichoderma under refrigeration to survive, so that's going to be an issue for you, as well as possible problems with survival on interstate journeys... Wouldn't do to have your babies nuked with an x-ray machine en route neh?

Anyway, as many species as you can get mate, breed em up good. You can get different strains of all these fungi as well, you may well be able to find an mj sybiosis specific strain which would sheild mj from just about anything... or you could breed forms for sativas or indicas, taking into account vigour, root system style, age, etc... lah de dah... I'll just keep going if I don't stop now.

keep us updated mate... :blink: :thumbsup

btw ferengi, did you use the type of biobugs which were in gel-caps?

nah, these were in a small plastic bottle with a little spoon and powder in it.

I also tried power active and now use it alternatively with the DM guardian.

I have seen this stuff called Trichoshield and it looks ok.

TrichoShield is a talc-based formulation containing the predatory fungal species Trichoderma harzianum, Trichoderma lignorum and Gliogladium virens, and the plant growth stimulating bio-balancing bacteria, Bacillus subtilis. Trichoderma is also a root growth stimulator.

http://www.hollandforge.com.au/en-us/dept_14.html

:blink:

Thanks for your help guys

insofar as the product info goes im a total newb

however when it come to cultivating trichoderma im well seasoned

its been the bane of my life for years. Apart from verticillum which is related it is the mots bad ass fungus to content with in mushroom growing as its a detsructive pathogen that kills even established colonies

I will do some more research on costs and product packaging

as for innoculum it sis tru ethat teh living stage would be tender liek any fungus but i know at least you can store the emerald green spore solution liek any other for a long time a room temp in sterile rainwater

ive isolated moulds from cheeses like stilton and brie before and it was piss easy

i hve total confidence in my ability to do the same with any commercial trich mix

so what the best brands?

i could easily take the 2 or 3 best and isolate then recombine spores of all 3 lines.

And if you wanted spore syringes then itd probably be the same as i charge for edibles at $15 a 10mL syringe

Thsi would be ideal for anyone who grows fungi already

glass jars with polyfill lids (www.fungifun.com) with a coco/ flour mix

sterilise and add 1mL of innoculum and watch the jar turn forest green in no time

u could use this to innoculate 20x its volume at least

i had a look at the biobugs and see how its harder to manage a water soluble product

i was readng last night that good aggressive trich strains will grow intimately all over the roots system providing lifetime protection

however my idea with colonised spawn would be suitable to the outddor or solid substrate grower. if using cocobags you could get a handful of green fun and dissolve it in the watering can and innoculate every bag with just one jar.

anyway ill keep this im mind and keep researching

Edited by funkyfungus

Heck yeah.

Only time and research will tell us what the best species are. Perhaps you could make a testing, where you isolate and breed up supplies of a few different strains, say for instance 4. Then you distribute to selected volunteer growers unlabeled versions of these for nothing, with a promise to report and return root samples for analysis. You could have individual fungi, as well as combinations, and to make it truly effective you should make it double blind, where there is no knowledge on the part of the distributor/researcher as to which bottles/syringes contain which fungi species, as well as no knowledge on the part of the user. There should certainly be a test utilising a "placebo" fungi species, which whilst not harming the plants, would have no effect on growth positive or negative. Or perhaps just nothing but some dust...

Anyway, what I'm saying is only time would tell what would be the "best" species for mj, or even if there may be different benifits to different strains... But a bit of experimenting should help ya out. If you can't grow your own, or support such a lavish research effort, you could also try to do your tests on other species with less... legal problems. Like hops... close enough to cannabis that the research wouldn't be totally useless, but ideally it would have to be done on the real deal.

Bring on the fungi and bugs!

For the record, I use biobugs too, and they work a charm for me. I have noticed they have some trouble forming colonies on some ceramic airstones, although that could just be one particular unit, as other ceramic stones I've had before were colonised perfectly well...

Good luck, and seriously consider that research/testing through experimentation with growers. You have a moderately large base of potential research subjects right here. :blink:

i think thats a great idea

its now firmly on my list of prospective projects

wasnt sure if it was pie in the sky before but confirmed potential now

it would probably be best for me to do some trial myself frst as well using actual pathogens like pythium to see if the trich mixes work

back in uni i isolated pthiuym and phyophthora a few times and we used selective media to do it

that wouldnt be too hard from some infected material

its something i can see myself working on this winter or spring

but for now i must get the shop up n running :o

thanks for your time and assistance

:o