Demineralised water the same as distilled?

Slotty2

Hey all,

Well got a fresh batch of seeds, going for another attempt. Now others mentioned to use distilled water to soak the rockwool cubes or paper towel etc, instead of normal water. At the supermarket they gave me demineralised and said it was the same thing. Is this correct? Would I be right to use this?

Also What germination technique should I go for this time? I was thinking id try soaking some rockwool cubes and placing the seed about 1cm down, placing in a dark area and make sure the cube stays moist. If that didnt work Id go for direct sow, and finally the paper towel method lol

But yeh my real question is about the water.

Cheers!

First question: yes.

Second question: Soil.

..................... have you ever grown any other seed before, apart from cannabis?

Cannabis is just another plant. It is no different from any other green flowering plant. If you were to grow corn, beans, jacarandah trees, cauliflower, venus flytraps, or even coconuts, what would you normally start with? DIRT- it's the most failsafe way to sprout your seeds in, especially if that is where you intend to grow them to maturity. Sprout and grow them in small pots of premium potting mix, and then transplant to the final destination. Not only is that the obvious thing, it also reduces transplant shock, because it's the same shit they are going into; not something completely foreign.

Hey, but who the fuck am I? I've only been growing successfully for 20 years, in every medium, and combinations of.

KISS.............. Keep It Simple.........

whatever lol

1cm is better.

Water soil well before planting. Pots do not need to be in the dark. In fact, it is essential for the newly emerged sprouts to 'see' the light immediately on coming through. Otherwise they'll stretch tall and fall over, kinking the stems, and making more problems. New sprouts need a lot of direct light. Only shade them partly, if the daily temperature is above 35C. Keep water up if it is hot.

Unless your tap water is black, and ignites in the presence of a naked flame, demineralized water is overkill, but if you've got it already, it can't hurt.

Oh, and before anyone tries to inform me of the manufacturing differences between demineralized water, and distilled water, don't worry about it--- I know. But for the purposes of this thread, it has no bearing.

Nothing to add to what Spurious said, except maybe put the seeds in points up.

The real reason i wanted to make this post, how many seeds have you tried to germinate and have any of them opened? You seem to have been persevering at this for quite a while and i can't understand why at least one wouldn't have opened. No one is tampering with them, or they are not in any sort of adverse environment are they?

Good luck this time around, your karma is well and truly due.

Hi Rufes,

I also planted my first batch of seeds (supplied by potopia) recently, fortunately with a bit more success than you're having.

Being a newbie myself I'll explain the process I went through...

My first attempt was to put about 6 seeds in a shot glass of filtered tap water and leave them to sit for a couple of hours. The seed husks got soft but none split.

I then put them in a mix of coco/perlite and left them - after 24hrs, only 2 had split.

I then went and bought some PH testing gear, and found my tap water had over 7.5ph - not good.

After mixing a batch of water at around 6.0ph I pulled the unsplit seeds from the coco/perlite medium and put them between 2 wet paper towels. After doing this all but one of the seeds split within an hour.

So yeah, I had alot of trouble at first, seems the ph level of your water plays a HUGE part on how well your seeds germinate. I wasn't overly careful with temperatures or anything (just didn't let the pots dry out) and my seeds sprouted fine.

Take alook at my grow diary if you want to see how I'm travelling so far and what I did.

Hope this helps some.

-- Eikel.