Seed in cup of water.. Sink or float?

Slotty2

Hey all, I have Kiwi Green seeds from MJOZ

I placed 4 of them in a ceramic cup, filled with tap water. they all floated. I covered the cup so it was dark, and placed in a cool area.

24 hours later I inspected them, they were still floating and nothing had seemed to of changed. I then gave each one a slight nudge, and they all sankl to the bottum. Righto then....

48 hours after first placing them in, I inspect again. They are still at the bottum and one seed has appeared to of split open.. First sign of germination?

I am a bit worried that its been 48 hours and only one seed has split open.

Could anyone express some thought on if I have done something wrong?

Thanks!

Personally, I'd get 'em out of the water, and into some wet paper towels, or even more preferably, some premium potting mix. Some people like the "drown in water" idea, but I get near 100% germination rates in straight premium brand dirt, given, of course, good seeds.

Yeah I'm with Spurious on this one bro. Not a really good method to germ your seeds.

Best method i have found is to place them on wet paper towel and put them some place where they are away from draft.

Are you growing indoor or outside?

Good luck

Xpat

Don't worry too much, some seeds take a good long time to germinate. Some can come up as late as 2 weeks but this is rare.

Some people soak their seeds in water to get the husk softened so the seed opens quicker so you probably havn't done them any damage but they do need air so keeping them in water after they have opened is not the best idea. For future reference, 24 hours is probably enough to soak seeds if you choose to do this again.

You know, if you have lost most of your seeds, you can take cuttings and grow them out too.

yeh, well they were soaking for about.... 60 hours,.. now i Just sowed them in a seed raising mix... might get lucky. who knows

as for cuttings im a first time grower, so have none :|

i still have 11 seeds left so not all is lost

Are we taking bets if any will germinate?? :wacko: B)

Edited by Rufes1