Starting From Scratch

refrakt

Ok so im sifting through this absolute mountain of information avaliable, and now ive got the options of indoor, hydro and outdoor. So could anyone outline the pros/cons of each of these. If i went with outdoor, it looks as though now is the best time to get going on this. So whats everyones preferred method? Also, I've seen all these seedbanks that ship internationaly. Does anyone use them, whats it like with customs? Or do you all get your seeds locally. I really want to start this as soon as I can so any relpies are greatly appreciated! Happy New Year!

refrakt.

Ok so im sifting through this absolute mountain of information avaliable

That you are refrakt, just about every question you ask about growing weed is answered in here, and if it's not, it would be answered quickly. lol

and now ive got the options of indoor, hydro and outdoor. So could anyone outline the pros/cons of each of these. If i went with outdoor, it looks as though now is the best time to get going on this.

Actually, you have the choices of indoor soil, indoor hydro, outdoor guerilla growing in soil, outdoor guerilla growing in hydro, and outdoor garden growing in soil or hydro as well.

Hydroponics is simply a method of growing plants which gives (if done correctly) much higher yeilds and shorter growing times than soil. Mostly this is to do with available oxygen at the roots, as most soil mixes aren't particularly well aerated, and thus there is a limit on plant growth. Most hydroponics systems however have ample air in the rootzone, because the root zone is far more specifically controlled, and nutrients don't need to be broken down from larger organic forms by soil biota. lol

So yeah, you could go with one of those choices. I should point out that there is no "best"... whatever applies to your personal situation and how you respond to the plants needs is what will give you good yeilds and quality, as well as the genes of the plants. Some would say that 90% of growing is choosing an appropriate strain, or in otherwords, genetics.

Outdoor growing is fantastic, but it has the risks of detection, you're more likely to encounter more pests, (although indoor systems can certainly be overrun, they're usually not attacked from all sides by multiple threats, mostly it's just the one pest which has found ideal conditions and gets out of control. ) and you're going to have to lug a heck of a lot of water in the australian summer if your plants are far away.

You'll have to ensure security, not only from the police, but from your fellow man as well, as there are always those out there willing to rip up someones months of hard work. :rolleyes:

These problems can be solved, and let's face it, there is nothing more powerful than the ol' nuclear HID in the sky called the sun. Fantastic marijuana crops can be grown outdoors, although you may have to be prepared for a monster! :reallyexcited:

Indoor growing, particularly in australian temperate conditions, with long, hot and dry summers and short, dark, cold and wet winters, can pose its own problems as well. If you live in a part of oz which has regularly high temps, above 35 or so, for any length of time, you may have to either consider seriously air-con, or even just shutting down. Fourtunately, you can produce a decent MJ crop indoors in 3 months flat, so you can make up for the lack of growing in summer by growing a bit more in the other, more amenable seasons.

Otherwise, many growers enjoy the security, absolute control over environmental factors, and great growth of indoor growing plants. You'll need to outlay a lot more for an indoor system than an outdoor garden, but this is easily justified considering the value of the crop.

Indoors pests can also be a problem, as they are often able to reproduce like crazy when certain environments and adequate food, (your plants) are provided. Spider mites, white fly and aphids can be problems, as well as fungus gnats and shore fly. There are other pests, and information on how to combat, or even better prevent, these pests ruining your plants is in the pests and diseases forum.

Hydroponics can be run in or out doors, as I said before, but it can be more difficult to run an outdoor hydro system than in the totally controlled environment of an indoor growing space. There are more pests for a start, and rain and environmental conditions are going to be directly able to affect the plants. Regular maintenance of hydro systems is needed too, and you may not be able to do this if your garden is a long way away.

Contrary to some strange notions out there, a well designed hydroponic system uses a lot less water than a soil based one.

Indoors, soil can pose problems, as some soils may not be sterile, and pests are then an issue. You'll be lugging a lot of very, very heavy soil about if you don't lighten it, and you'll need larger containers for a soil plant than a hydro one. That said, soil growing is a heck of a lot easier generally, and there is a larger margin for error. Hydro systems in comparison can destroy plants fairly quickly unless you've got a very, very simple system.

Hope that's not just confused you more on the choices, but yeah, I'd say go with indoor, (for the security and environmental benefits,) with either a simple (K.I.S.S.) hydro system or a soil grow. Once you've gotten some experience in the various subtleties of growing your own MJ indoors you can certainly move up to more complex systems, but the largest single cause of people giving up is complexity IMHO. Make it simple, make it easy, and you'll be more than happy to get out there to do the necessary work.:)

Also, I've seen all these seedbanks that ship internationaly. Does anyone use them, whats it like with customs? Or do you all get your seeds locally. I really want to start this as soon as I can so any relpies are greatly appreciated! Happy New Year!

Yeah, heaps of cannabis in Oz is from imported seed, all of it when you really get down to it... There are quite a few local breeders, you can find some aussie seedbanks in our seedbank area, and you'll also find that there are a couple of clone sellers too, which makes life a heck of a lot easier and faster in overall growing time for the newbie and pro alike.

The international seedbanks usually ensure good stealth, after all, they are sending an illegal product across the globe, they don't want pissed off customers do they? A pissed off customer doesn't buy your stock again. Course, there are some who don't go to the efforts, and even some down and out rip off artists, but there are many honest, reliable and excellent seedbanks out there in the world, and most will deliver seeds discretely to your door. Do some research into peoples reactions online and personal experiences, (once again, the seedbanks forum helps a lot with that ) and you'll soon be able to "weed" (heh heh, get it?) out the good from the bad.

I would say check out a few locals first though, as these breeders often have a much better grip on local laws, mailing systems and ways to avoid detection rather than outside sources. Most of these local breeders or sellers are growing out or breeding recently imported strains from O/S anyway, so you're getting pretty much the same thing. If anything, it might be a bit better as if they're bred in oz from foreign stock, they could be better acclimatised to our conditions than the original parents.

Hope that helps ya mate. :yingyang

top post as per usual Luke. :thumbsup

The only input I can add is that indoors wont usually produce as much bud as an outdoors plant will. simply because of the size the plants are grown to.

However you can get a crop every 3 months of around a pound and this is usually more than enough for a smoker.

my indoors plant are usually 4 - 5 feet tall max finished.

When I was growing outdoors for commercial reasons I was getting like 8 to 10 footer sativas that gave me roughly 1 to 2 pounds per plant and I usually had like 50 to 100 plants scattered around the place.

ie- dont keep all your plants at the one spot.

Outdoors plants are more prone to weather problems - winds, excess rains, frosts, animals, cops, cunts ripping you off etc.

They also are generally alot slower growers than indoors, as they are getting decent nutrients in the pure form, eg like luke said they dont need to be broken down from larger organic forms by soil biota. They are ready for the plant to use straight away.

For me I gave up the outdoors and went indoors because I didnt want to grow a money crop, I only want to grow enough to supply myself and a few other medical users with top notch buds.

So for me I feel safer having it IN the house, its easier for me to maintain in the house, and its faster growing and finished.

I can do roughly 3 crops a year vs 1 or 2 tops outdoors so the yearly yeild can be fairly high.

but you would need ALOT of lighting if you wanted to be commercial indoors.

The only down side to growing indoors is the power bill is higher, (off set the costs by using a house full of fluro bulbs)

Also its alot harder to go organic indoors as I wont bring soil or coc in to my grow room ever again.

I used it once and had huge bug problems and actually lost a crop recently from scarid fly.

Well I pulled some ozs but fark all, and this was only from having coc in the house.

IMO outdoors buds smoke better, taste better and give a better high.

indoors grows faster, is safer, and is easier to maintain.