How to work out dose rates for edibles

Some advice / help needed please. I’ve just made my first ever batch of coconut oil and need to work out how much per serve to have.

……sorry, newb questions but I’m new to this and want to get it right!

I started off with 9gm of bud, decarbed and then added it to 1 cup (240ml) of coconut oil and the cooked it in the crockpot for 6 hours.

After it was all done and strained, I’ve ended up with 155gm of oil.

Question is - how do I work out how many gm per dose I need - I’ve hardly ever used weed in my life so I don’t want them to be overly strong.

I realise it will be hard to work out an exact dose without knowing how strong the weed was in the first place - all I can go off (and this has come from a very reliable source) is that it is really good stuff and quite strong.

Thankyou

hey there J

the answer is very carefully !

you can use an eye dropper & go by drops under your tongue 

make sure you give plenty of time between doses because it needs time to get through your system before you feel the effects 

i make cookies every now & then from infused butter , i tell everybody to cut the cookie into quarters & wait 45min to an hour 

after consuming a single quarter before considering having another quarter 

once you know a quarter or half is enough your set but keep in mind that's you , it might not be the same for someone else 

also keep in mind every batch you make could be different to the previous batch strength wise  

THC converts to 11 Hydroxy THC in the body & the effects can feel allot more powerful than smoking a spliff 

so low & slow & if you do OD , assuming you have no under lying issues , the experience although generally 

unpleasant won't do anymore than freak you out a bit & maybe force you into some porcelain bus driving along

the way to it passing through & out of your system 

good luck with it 

• Upvote 2

Yeah go slow to begin as itchy says.

The way I normally work out a dose like that would be that if I was smoking, roughly 1/3 gram gets me there depending on the variety. So if you have started with 9 grams, that is about 27 doses. So if have 155 grams divide by 27, it is about 5-6 gram dose. Maths is not my strong point so you had better work it out yourself. Personally I find I need more edibles to get the desired effect, than if I smoked, so it is going to be a personal journey to get the right dose. I make my own decarbed cannabis capsules and they measure 0.2 grams each. I can easily eat three and feel ok, although that is from a fairly mild sativa based plant.

Overdosing on edibles is pretty uncomfortable and not to be taken lightly, although if you OD it will pass and won't kill you. Coconut oil will be solid at winter temps so you might need a spoon rather than a dropper. The reason itchy says to put it under your tongue is that it will effect you quicker than if you just swallowed it.

Edited by freddie
  • Upvote 2

hey there J

the answer is very carefully !

And that is VERY true.

Greening out on edibles is the sort of thing you only do once, you soon learn 'your' limit. You've got to remember the effects smoking compared to the effects eating are completely different.

Many, many moons ago someone made some cookies and ate 3 or 4, the body effects were HUGE. Went and laid down, but when I got up Ohhh the hangover.... ...just nasty.

It can really depend on the concentration of THC in the original product. If you cook your leaf, it has bugger all active ingredient in it, but if you used bud from the same plant the concentration would be heaps more.

Also with bud, if someone flowers for 8 weeks the mix of the varying cannabinoids  varies when compared to the same plant flowered for 12 weeks.

Trying to quantify can be extremely individual.

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1

And that is VERY true.

Greening out on edibles is the sort of thing you only do once, you soon learn 'your' limit. You've got to remember the effects smoking compared to the effects eating are completely different.

Many, many moons ago someone made some cookies and ate 3 or 4, the body effects were HUGE. Went and laid down, but when I got up Ohhh the hangover.... ...just nasty.

It can really depend on the concentration of THC in the original product. If you cook your leaf, it has bugger all active ingredient in it, but if you used bud from the same plant the concentration would be heaps more.

Also with bud, if someone flowers for 8 weeks the mix of the varying cannabinoids varies when compared to the same plant flowered for 12 weeks.

Trying to quantify can be extremely individual.

Merl1n

First time I did weed was edibles. Really was a eye opening experience.

The hangover was fucked lasted for a couple weeks.

I was a dumb fuck who ate the whole cookie at once. Boy felt like I went to another dimension. Was enjoyable in a way but hell in another.

First high was a greening experience. Was good cus it taught me to respect the humble edible. Never touched edibles since. They evil af.

Good luck mate. Be very fucking careful or you will never want to touch them again in your life.

Sent from my CPH1919 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

I was a dumb fuck who ate the whole cookie at once. Boy felt like I went to another dimension. Was enjoyable in a way but hell in another.

First high was a greening experience. Was good cus it taught me to respect the humble edible. Never touched edibles since. They evil af.

Greening out on edibles is the sort of thing you only do once, you soon learn 'your' limit. 

See, that's EXACTLY what I mean.

• Upvote 2

hey jim,

i would warm up the solid coco canna oil and pour it into an ice cube tray, then get one brownie mix and substitute the butter needed in ingredients with plain coco oil. warm up on low heat one canna coco cube + the amount of plain coco oil and continuously mix for optimal consistency, then just add to your brownie mix.

if you've found out its way too weak you can add the desired amount of canna cubes to your next match.

when starting from scratch i generally add 3-4 grams of bud to make canna oil/butter for one brownie mix