RSO Oil

Acebull

Question

First of G'day to you all I'm a newbie to the forum so be gentle with me lol

I have a question about making ROS oil why do I have to dry the plant first as I'm not going to smoke it and in my poor little brain it don't make sense to me as the plant is all nice and fresh so is fresh not better or am I missing something so if anyone knows please let me know  Thank You

weed and Peace :twitchsmile:

6 answers to this question

There are two schools  of thought

-Fresh frozen V Dry Material 

Dry material  can be de carbed  firstly, following Rick simpsons recipe 

Either works it is more about the cultivar And rates of thc v cbd etc etc  and what your trying to achieve ie: what’s the issue ?

Ultimately everyone has an opinion on this topic , find out what works for you , and also depends how lazy you are , it does change the taste, slightly 

Fresh frozen is quicker , hence a bit of the lazy or easy route.

And this subject is evolving as time goes on 

Edited by cardrona
  • Upvote 1

can't remember does rick sympson's rso get decarbed ? 

depends on what you want to achieve , you can consume more cannabinoids in acid form 

than you can with decarded cannabinoids 

it's like grapes dried into raisins both are consumable but each give you different 

amounts of vitamin C for instance 

so a plant dry's & like grapes it changes as it dry's providing you with something different from one stage 

to the next , even when a farmer harvests will provide something slightly different harvested late or early 

the word " fresh " is a term that doesn't really mean much , it's about you needing grapes , raisins or something 

in between to suit your needs  

• Upvote 2

When making RSO a solvent is used, the solvent has a lower boiling point than water. I use iso as the solvent and it has a boiling point of around 82C

By using wet weed when cooking all of the iso evaporates off and you're left with water and when the oil boils it raises the temp to 100C. The longer you have the oil at higher temps, the more breakdown of the cannabinoids occurs.

By using dry weed you reduce the time required and the temp required to make the oil, hence I only use dry canna to make my oil.

Here's a couple of links, the first is similar to my processes https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/56673-introducing-aho-aussie-hash-oil-the-sunny-method/

The 2nd link is to 'THC Extraction' and shows a few other people's processes https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/forum/84-thc-extraction/

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hi 

I meant more by de carbed as that is a step some people do , or another option , in the process , most don’t , but usually de carb if making edibles , can’t remember if Rick does or not come to think of it , most likely just dry material 

I would also say give it rest time afterwards to de gas , it matures with time and is better product a month later , from my experience , similar to a cure 

can't remember does rick sympson's rso get decarbed ? 

depends on what you want to achieve , you can consume more cannabinoids in acid form 

than you can with decarded cannabinoids 

it's like grapes dried into raisins both are consumable but each give you different 

amounts of vitamin C for instance 

so a plant dry's & like grapes it changes as it dry's providing you with something different from one stage 

to the next , even when a farmer harvests will provide something slightly different harvested late or early 

the word " fresh " is a term that doesn't really mean much , it's about you needing grapes , raisins or something 

in between to suit your needs  

• Upvote 1

actu

When making RSO a solvent is used, the solvent has a lower boiling point than water. I use iso as the solvent and it has a boiling point of around 82C

By using wet weed when cooking all of the iso evaporates off and you're left with water and when the oil boils it raises the temp to 100C. The longer you have the oil at higher temps, the more breakdown of the cannabinoids occurs.

By using dry weed you reduce the time required and the temp required to make the oil, hence I only use dry canna to make my oil.

Here's a couple of links, the first is similar to my processes https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/56673-introducing-aho-aussie-hash-oil-the-sunny-method/

The 2nd link is to 'THC Extraction' and shows a few other people's processes https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/forum/84-thc-extraction/

Hope it helps

Merl1n

that was useful for me as well, thanks a lot:)