Germation Grow Light

Hey guys,

So after a last minute, unplanned, shambles of a first attempt grow last year I'm trying again this year but actually putting some thought in to it.

Gonna be growing some Critical Purple autos outdoors.

I've been looking into propagation grow lights and have read a couple of articles that say lighting at 6000-6500k works best.

All the lighting kits I've found close to me have been full spectrum. So I thought, using one or two tri colour LED downlights and setting them to 6500k, fit them to a clear plastic storage tub and starting my little guys in there before moving them outdoors.

This would be a far cheaper option than buying a kit from the hydro shop,especially as I'm a sparky and already have everything I need.

Thoughts on this?

Or is this something growers are already doing?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

P.S Also meant to title, propagation grow light

Edited by PickleRick

Personally, I use a simple fluro for germination. Less heat. During germination the 'k's make very little impact, they're babies and babies need to be nurtured, not beaten into submission.

Once you get them up to the 3rd or 4th node, then you can start pushing them a little more and increasing the lumens, but prior to that gentle, gentle is best IMHO anyway.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I use a simple fluro for germination. Less heat. During germination the 'k's make very little impact, they're babies and babies need to be nurtured, not beaten into submission.

Once you get them up to the 3rd or 4th node, then you can start pushing them a little more and increasing the lumens, but prior to that gentle, gentle is best IMHO anyway.

Thanks for the feedback mate,

Yeah get what you're saying about heat, I was thinking of placing spacers between the lid and tub and drilling some small holes in the tub to get some air flow through.

I’ve had good success with a cfl fluro bulb from Bunnings when first sprouted, then stepped it up from that to a progrow UFO 100w led then to outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

What size and colour CFL are you using Lolly?

Also loving your grow diary, that made my decision to go with Canna Coco over Canna Terra [emoji1]

PickleRick, I think from memory it is a 24w cool daylight cfl bulb and I just bought a desk lamp from Bunnings also to fit it in (will use it on my home desk at some stage lol).

It seems to do the job nicely for the initial stages and as Merlin said gently is best as the very first germination I did I chucked them straight under the 100w led and fried them bad.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

post-67538-160370404081_thumb.jpg

One germinated a week ago while the other two I only just started so are a week behind, but to my newbie eyes the week old one is not stretched looking for light so I figure the 24w is doing the job on a budget [emoji106].

Oh and I still love the coco, just watch for those freaking white cabbage butterfly moth things [emoji24].

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app