Soil recommendations for outdoor Autos grow

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some recommendations for soil types to use. 

1st one outdoors and i've got some Northern Lights and Cali Kush autos that I grabbed from aussieseeds a while back.

Not too keen on making my own, something organic water only would be great.

What's everybody using out there????

Cheers

Jay

Easy as Organics in melb.

Organic gardening solutions in brisbane.

Have also heard good things about dr greenthumbs but i haven't used there products personally.

My advice for autos would be this:

https://www.organicgardeningsolutions.com.au/products/coots-compost-mix

cut it as directed with equal parts peat moss and perlite.

Autos like a light airy mix.

My Autos struggled with a scoria rock mix.

Cheers

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some recommendations for soil types to use. 

1st one outdoors and i've got some Northern Lights and Cali Kush autos that I grabbed from aussieseeds a while back.

Not too keen on making my own, something organic water only would be great.

What's everybody using out there????

Cheers

Jay

If you're growing outdoors, use the dirt that you find outdoors. Never, ever use cheap (or even pricey) bags of potting mix. It's basically woodchips.

Learn a little about soil chemistry. Don't do a degree, just read on the net. Then learn to recognise signs and symptoms of a plant that is not thriving, vs one that is. Believe me, that will be your very best tool if you plan to be an outdoor grower.

"You don't 'garden' the plants; you 'garden' the soil." That's from Peter Cundall. It applies to every gardener and every plant.

Canna thrives in a variety of soils. However the young plants don't like too much acid. Acidic soil comes from the breakdown of organic material and can be compensated by adding dolomite lime. Acid burn in young plants is browning, stunted leaves. Once they're a foot high, they are more tolerant and slight variation matter less.

Heavy clay does not drain water away, so the roots will become waterlogged and rot. This is signified by dark, drooping leaves. Make sure you plant in a deep, well drained hole that is not full of clay.

Overy alkaline soils (and these are rare) won't matter with young plants. When the plants are, again, a foot or so high and looking healthy (ie glossy green leaves, vigourous growth) add some organic matter to fertilise. Mulch, compost - whatever you like. Just don't think you will grow bombs of plants by smothering them with ferlilizer. More likely to kill them. Two good doses of organic fertiliser in a good soil is adequate; one before preflower (early december) another late January.

If you're using pots, make sure they are well drained and well mulched. And deep for a strong, healthy taproot. Worms are your very best friend; I grow directly in the ground, but you can encourage them to live in your pots.

For thirty years I've been totally self-sufficient in canna. I get a year's supply from a 2 x 3.5 m plot behind my shed, but I look after the soil. You gotta give back to the earth.

Cheers man.

• Upvote 1

You can't beat chicken shit? fair dinkum it thrives,just add water.

If you really want to get serious grow a patch of green beans,once you pull em ( eat or chuck em out ) just till or turn the soil and plant,just water while in vege stage, the green beans absolutely saturate the soil with nitrogen!

Goodluck brother.

Edited by magurbanhere

Canna Terra is fantastic IMO.. Works great with a multipurpose organic fert like thrive or powerfeed..  Perfect for Auto's because it's light, holds plenty of oxygen and it drains really well.

Well said, im using canna terra with yates thrive in veg than manutec liquid potash during flower.

GreenSpace Premium Potting Soil

Regular price$16.00

Premium Potting Mix 8 litres 27 litres 3L

8 litres 27 litres 3L

ADD TO CART

Utilising only premium natural ingredients, GreenSpace Potting Soil delivers a consistent experience for gardeners, and a pleasurable one for their plants!

Unlike commercial potting soil, our blend combines the added benefits of nutrient dense + microbe rich compost, organic worm castings & the perfect balance of aeration and peat moss. Delivering results beyond the expectations of even the most seasoned gardener.

Perfect for container gardening of indoor plants, succulents, herbs & vegetables!

For specifically matched and balanced fertiliser options, we suggest you use the GreenSpace Slow Release & Liquid

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk