Peat vs coir

depends on your thoughts on what you want to achieve , sustainability ( chip ) or well preforming soil mix ( peat )

if sustainability is your thing then you might consider wood chip in a soil mix , i think 

it ticks some boxes but if you compare , lets say ' easy as organics soil mix that is more than

3 X the price of a expensive ($15) bagged soil at bunngings that contains wood chip 

there is no comparison , the growth rate is night n day , it's so different people pay the more 

than 3 X the price for easy as bagged soil 

you can absolutely use wood chip in soil mixes , bunnings has a large selection of them

Well ya wrong digging something from the ground that’s been there for millions of years is never sustainable.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

There is effort to re seed and regrow and sustainably manage those areas, similar to the timber industry it seems if managed properly can be somewhat sustainable.

depends on your thoughts on what you want to achieve , sustainability ( chip ) or well preforming soil mix ( peat )

if sustainability is your thing then you might consider wood chip in a soil mix , i think 

it ticks some boxes but if you compare , lets say ' easy as organics soil mix that is more than

3 X the price of a expensive ($15) bagged soil at bunngings that contains wood chip 

there is no comparison , the growth rate is night n day , it's so different people pay the more 

than 3 X the price for easy as bagged soil 

you can absolutely use wood chip in soil mixes , bunnings has a large selection of them

I wouldn't use wood chips, i am referring to pine bark or fir bark in america. Completely different properties. I think you will find composted pine bark to have all the proper qualities needed for a potting mix when sifted and graded properly. It won't have all the exotic organic ingredients that have various hormones, chitosan etc. But those can be applied by fertigation more efficiently and cheaper with a lot of the organic liquid amendments on the market, taking it one step further brewing your own aerated mixes. 

In regards to pricing, like most things in the hydro industry the organic industry is catching up and adding the profitable canna tax. to there products. I can't lie i fall into the same traps in the hydroponic area.

There is effort to re seed and regrow and sustainably manage those areas, similar to the timber industry it seems if managed properly can be somewhat sustainable.

Peat moss is not renewable at all

The first 400mm is moss under that is the peat

This is found in a bog that's been there for a long long time

No it's not sustainable

The main advantage is that it's alive

Sorry i was largely referring to sphagnum peat moss, which is that top layer which if i'm not mistaken is considered top quality peat used it these mixes?  from what i've seen that can be re seeded and regrown quite readily. A lot of the old very acidic peat is used as a source of fuel in places like scotland. 

If it is local to you and can be regrown and managed I believe it can be considered sustainable. Do i think shipping out to Australia is no? Coco seems better being a by product, but as mentioned initially i think the farming practices of the initial product (coconuts) in places like india is generally incredibly harmful to the local enviorments with pollution of waterways with high levels of excess fertillisers and pesticides. The coco itself also needs to be treated for hydroponic use. Now for hydroponic, is something like perlite more sustainable because it is mined in Australia? you are saving on fossil fuels not having to ship it out here and also the fact its so light and easy to transport, but a lot of fossil fuels go into extracting it from the earth and it is not renewable. 

so many factors to toss up, It's an interesting topic

Peat moss is not renewable at all

The first 400mm is moss under that is the peat

This is found in a bog that's been there for a long long time

No it's not sustainable

The main advantage is that it's alive

Yep exactly that. Its not sustainable at all.

Fair enough, just been reading more bits and pieces about peat. Seems european sources are much worse off than those in canada and have been managed much worse. An interesting note i read was that coco being produced could only account for 10% of the worlds production needs. But that accounts for lower graded peat used in the nursery industry. The amount of soiless media used globally is astonishing.

Fair enough, just been reading more bits and pieces about peat. Seems european sources are much worse off than those in canada and have been managed much worse. An interesting note i read was that coco being produced could only account for 10% of the worlds production needs. But that accounts for lower graded peat used in the nursery industry. The amount of soiless media used globally is astonishing.

Yep humans just can’t help fucking everything they touch.

Soil for all the way. Even using soil is probably damaging the environment some how.