• Register Now!
Grass Outdoors Shade Purple Orange Blueberry Watermelon Apple Banana Strawberry Chocolate
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community. - Login to remove this message
CYCO Platinum Series Hydroponics Nutrients & Additives
Barneys Farm Cannabis Seeds

Photo

Depth of pot versus volume of pot?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

bomber

bomber

Just Sprouting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:None
  • Fav. Heads:None

I bought some fabric bags off eBay. 40cm diameter/30 cm high.

Im worried that height may ultimately be an issue in my new tent.

I saw somewhere that people had folded their pot-rims down, then stapled them to reduce their height from 30cm, to say 20 to 25 cm.

I used a volume calculator which showed 40cm diameter and 30 cm height = 9 gallons.

If I reduce the pot to 20cm height, 40 cm diameter, it reduces it to 6 gallons, which is plenty for a LST or scrog grow.

Question....is 20 cm deep enough, or will it not matter because the 6gallon volume is there?

Thanks in advance....

Say thanks with some bits:  bc1q2u6zm8fvmf9n6zv0kdtq0gsvhjfhdcysfss94j  (BTC Only)

Porky 1982

Porky 1982

Drug War Veteran

• Banned
  • 5130 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:Recreational
  • Fav. Heads:100% Organic
Depth won’t matter it’s the volume as the roots will go sideways.
To shallow and if the plants get tall they may fall over.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

bomber

bomber

Just Sprouting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 Posts:

Thanks Porky, thats a fair point, but I'm hoping to develop the plant horizontally via scrog or LST etc, so shouldn't be an issue.

perfect, thanks.

Porky 1982

Porky 1982

Drug War Veteran

• Banned
  • 5130 Posts:
  • Fav. Heads:100% Organic

Thanks Porky, thats a fair point, but I'm hoping to develop the plant horizontally via scrog or LST etc, so shouldn't be an issue.
perfect, thanks.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

The Toll Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2849 Posts:

A slimmer taller pot will hold less water than a short and wide pot. Has to do with how water travels and its held within pots. 

Attached File  pot pic.png   62.83K   11 downloads

So the blue represents water level after drainage has occurred, all pots will have a little reservoir at the same height due to gravity. As you can see due to there being more media in the shallower pot underneath that water line, it will have more surface area to hold onto more water. 

Hope that helps.

Old fox

Old fox

Curing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 Posts:
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads)

A slimmer taller pot will hold less water than a short and wide pot. Has to do with how water travels and its held within pots.

attachicon.gifpot pic.png

So the blue represents water level after drainage has occurred, all pots will have a little reservoir at the same height due to gravity. As you can see due to there being more media in the shallower pot underneath that water line, it will have more surface area to hold onto more water.

Hope that helps.

Very good description with that example.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

CYCO Platinum Series Hydroponics Nutrients & Additives
Drug Detox Kits, Toxin Detox Kits, Drug Testing Kits and Medical Condition masking products
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community.