Depth of pot versus volume of pot?

I bought some fabric bags off eBay. 40cm diameter/30 cm high.

Im worried that height may ultimately be an issue in my new tent.

I saw somewhere that people had folded their pot-rims down, then stapled them to reduce their height from 30cm, to say 20 to 25 cm.

I used a volume calculator which showed 40cm diameter and 30 cm height = 9 gallons.

If I reduce the pot to 20cm height, 40 cm diameter, it reduces it to 6 gallons, which is plenty for a LST or scrog grow.

Question....is 20 cm deep enough, or will it not matter because the 6gallon volume is there?

Thanks in advance....

A slimmer taller pot will hold less water than a short and wide pot. Has to do with how water travels and its held within pots. 

post-41034-0-76387000-1593411127_thumb.png

So the blue represents water level after drainage has occurred, all pots will have a little reservoir at the same height due to gravity. As you can see due to there being more media in the shallower pot underneath that water line, it will have more surface area to hold onto more water. 

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

A slimmer taller pot will hold less water than a short and wide pot. Has to do with how water travels and its held within pots.

attachicon.gifpot pic.png

So the blue represents water level after drainage has occurred, all pots will have a little reservoir at the same height due to gravity. As you can see due to there being more media in the shallower pot underneath that water line, it will have more surface area to hold onto more water.

Hope that helps.

Very good description with that example.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app