Let me share my little joy...a seed of Cherry Bomb...25 years old seed.. germinated today.. 

Kitty litters watered by boiled water with a lil bit of molasses of 1 teaspoon per liter. An amazing seeds germination media. Using it for a second time and its a great stuff.
Just remove blue markers before using it.

At first I must say thank you to moderator for creating this thread about Cherry Bomb.

This amazing strain too has its own history and rumors around it. The original story about its origin is posted on mrGreengenes website by himself.

i have to note that Cherry Bomb name is about mrGreengenes strain only and i will use it in this context. I know that there are several hybrids selling under the same name but as mrGreengenes said recently (yes hes alive :) ) there are only three source are legit. First one is MrG himself, then Swami Organics, and the third one who has original seeds is VerdantGreen. Only one of them is selling seeds atm. this is Gas from SwamiOrganic (further SOS). There are a few videos on YouTube so you can see and make your own opinion about this guy. I also has to add that buying from him from overseas was a bit hard but finally i got em.

The seed i note in a firs post was given to me in 2001 by Overgrow member. And that was marked as It was from 95 grow. I given to him a pack of kazakh Chu Valley ruderalis and he gave me three seeds of '95 CB.

Ok. Now is time for rumors: as ive been told, there are two versions of original Cherry Bomb. One is '78 and the second one is '79. The differences between em is that '79 was made by some side breeder (not mrG) and it bring hermies sometimes. '78 is stable and doesnt herm.

Ok, enough of tales. All that info abour hermie isnt from my own experience. That was just rumors.

My first met with CB was when i grew a hybrid by Reeferman. Its name was CB2 and it was a hybrid of mrGreengenes CherryBomb and some californian indica given to reef by Jack Herer...hehe.yes guys.i remember about rumors and fairy tales, but this info is from Reef himself. And he also mentioned about hermies of MrG cherry bomb :)

This hybrid has a sativish phenotype that smells like crazy, but it was very good smell. Spicy, juicy i simply cant describe it in full details. It was just great. The effect was a good mood, creative and happy. Very good for day activity...after a lilltle dub i was realized that i have no problems at all.

But then Reef stopped doing this cross anymore and ive decided to try to recreate it. As ive already has that old 95 seeds i grew one of them in 2007 and that was totally different stuff. It was great too but the taste and high was very different. The great thing happened recently when ive found 4 original seeds of cb2 by reef, yes they were hidden berween others in a fridge, and they are about 20 years old... i also have a pack of '79 cherry bomb from SOS. So the project seems to be interesting and fun. Again..the goal of it is to find my favorite juicy spicy phenotype.

Cheers

Sava

• Upvote 1

Thank you for stopping by friend.

Here's a CherryBomb's story from the man himself. Read it, its fun. https://www.greengenesgarden.com/cherry-bomb

As the story said, the origin of this strain is a 6 or 7 seeds found in sensimilla. Hehe. 

Nice one Sava, the cherry bomb sounds like a winner. I love reading about the history of strains and trying to filter myth from reality. Do you scarafy or soak these old seeds before germinating? I’ve got some oldish seeds this year, but not many and want to increase the chances of germination.

Normal practice is soak and then scarify. But microscope is needed to to this most accurately and not to damage embrio 

The seed must be sterilized at first. By this we win the time, as old seeds germination takes more time, its . The protocol of seed sterilization is simple.

1. 15 min clorohexidine

2. wash in sterile water.

3. 10 seconds 70% ethanol

4.  wash in sterile water.  And then i leave the seed in sterile water with a few drops of 5% h2o2. 

The media is simplest one and it is just 1 teaspoon of molasses per liter of water. I boilt and then soak the kitty silicagel in a plastic jars by this hot boiling liquid. After a hour or two it will bee fully soaked, i remove the additional liquid remainig just a little bit of it on the bottom.

Then i put the lid on a jar and microwave it until it start to boil again. The media is done and i wait till it cool down.

When the seed is fully soaked i put it onto media. It is not very hard to do. I use plastic container and a 70% ethanol spray to sterilize working area...there is a videos on YT by Bill Graham of how he does similar procedures. Absolutely the same. You can leave soaked seeds as is or scarify it using tweezers and scalpel. 

There is also a more advanced technique of encapsulating seed embrio into artifical endosperm. This one is very effective for old seeds but this require some skills and matherials. Actually it can be done at home and i hope i will be able to show how to do it.

Encapsulation of plant tissues is another widely used technique of plant propagation. But this is a subject for another thread.

Good luck with your seeds.

post-66537-0-28400500-1586678299_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Sava that’s a nice, in depth method. I’ve just soaked a couple of 3 year old indigo berry Kush seeds in a water and H202 solution. I bipassed scarification, but in the past have rubbed the edge of the seed lightly on sandpaper prior to soaking. the idea behind this is it gives water more opportunity to penetrate the a hardened seed. This method is non scientific and something I made up in my head, but have had success in the past with hard to crack seeds.

I’ll read up on cherry bomb history from your link now.

Im really interested to see your grow progress, so hopefully you’ll hang around and update this thread every now and then.