Shaded VS Non-Shaded Plant Harvest Differences

Hey guys just doing some random stoner thoughts and am wondering some things about how plants grown in shade behave. I'll sort of know for myself once we get our first harvest done as we've got some shaded plants, but am wondering about others exp too.

I understand the plants wont grow as big and vigorous as plants in full sun, and the yield will suffer. But what are the nugs like? Is it possible to create the same high quality nug, albeit in lesser yeild, from a shaded plant? Or will the nug be airy and crap no matter what? Could pruning the plant to such a point that their is only one or two nug growth sites enhance the plant energy going into those nugs making them denser and higher quality? 

Could this apply to guerrilla grows etc where perhaps if a large patch was acquired that couldn't be spotted by air traffic as it's shaded - could you plant 10k plants and still pull nug? Obv couldn't train those plants, it'd be set and forget, but it could be worthwhile as a backup plot to the sunny one that's easier to spot. And if autos grow well shaded that could be an option too.

Any thoughts guys?

From my experiences plants grown in shade don't produce

They stay stunted or long thin branches searching for sun

The difference, to me doesn't make it worth it for the effort

Sorta like a factory running at 20% production rate

You can see the difference in grows on some threads here

Not having adequate lighting inside will give similar results to plants in the shade,

Set n forget rarely leads to quality buds IMO

But that's just my opinion

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

how much shade are we talking about ? all day? morning, afternoon? My plants in the greenhouse dont get hardly any direct morning sunlight because of the neighbours shitty gum trees 

but the midday- late afternoon sun seems to be enough . Would love those few extra hours of direct sunlight tho  

From my experiences plants grown in shade don't produce

They stay stunted or long thin branches searching for sun

The difference, to me doesn't make it worth it for the effort

Sorta like a factory running at 20% production rate

You can see the difference in grows on some threads here

Not having adequate lighting inside will give similar results to plants in the shade,

Set n forget rarely leads to quality buds IMO

But that's just my opinion

Good to know thanks mate. So growing long and spindly and bad or no nug.

The way I was trying to look at it is say you've got that 20% factory, and it only outputs $100,000 annually running @ 20%. Small for a factory. But they only spend $15k annually running the machine or whatever. Scaling up would be wicked but still do alright running at 20% since the scale is still large. To create value we'd have to optimize processes and get the most out of the plants to be worthwhile.

Now I'm thinking the bud won't be great no matter what training etc I do - how would a hash plant behave I wonder? Don't need good bud just hash production - which may increase in stressful conditions? Then could do sifting out in the bush. Hmmm.

They will just stretch looking for the light, which will lead to very large and unnatural inter nodal spacing and just general slower growth

Would an autoflower stretch the same? I didn't consider stretch and that's a bit of a major lol

how much shade are we talking about ? all day? morning, afternoon? My plants in the greenhouse dont get hardly any direct morning sunlight because of the neighbours shitty gum trees 

but the midday- late afternoon sun seems to be enough . Would love those few extra hours of direct sunlight tho  

I was thinking a canopy something like image below. Diffused sunlight and patches of direct perhaps. But maybe even slightly less open than the pic if it's not a crazy dark forest.

Would have to go for a hike and see what the sunlights like at different times of days in patches - I imagine forests get dark quick though so maybe on the edge by a farm or something.

I've heard that missing the morning sun is worse than missing the afternoon sun coz the morning sun 'starts the day' so to speak. But the nug comes out fine, just a touch smaller plant?

images-q-tbn-ANd9-Gc-THpgh-YO57w-IMf-QUi

That pictures a spin out.

Good to know thanks mate. So growing long and spindly and bad or no nug.

The way I was trying to look at it is say you've got that 20% factory, and it only outputs $100,000 annually running @ 20%. Small for a factory. But they only spend $15k annually running the machine or whatever. Scaling up would be wicked but still do alright running at 20% since the scale is still large. To create value we'd have to optimize processes and get the most out of the plants to be worthwhile.

Now I'm thinking the bud won't be great no matter what training etc I do - how would a hash plant behave I wonder? Don't need good bud just hash production - which may increase in stressful conditions? Then could do sifting out in the bush. Hmmm.

Would an autoflower stretch the same? I didn't consider stretch and that's a bit of a major lol

I was thinking a canopy something like image below. Diffused sunlight and patches of direct perhaps. But maybe even slightly less open than the pic if it's not a crazy dark forest.

Would have to go for a hike and see what the sunlights like at different times of days in patches - I imagine forests get dark quick though so maybe on the edge by a farm or something.

I've heard that missing the morning sun is worse than missing the afternoon sun coz the morning sun 'starts the day' so to speak. But the nug comes out fine, just a touch smaller plant?

images-q-tbn-ANd9-Gc-THpgh-YO57w-IMf-QUi

Any thoughts guys?

this seems like a guerrilla grow so you would want the plant to look a a tree from afar, yet if this was backyard grown you would want to TOP and use LST for benefits in light absorption.

the fan leaves are basically little solar panels so the more spread out from each other means more light absorption, while 2 different grows of full and half light intensity results in lower nutrient (ppms ,EC) intake for the half standard due to the slow rate of growth rate.

would hope bud quality to be the same just at lower yields, yet should let real growers answer that one.

my only question to all is say 30% shade cloth, would that diminish grow light/sun rays by say 30% or would the use of 30% shade cloth  really diminish growth to say half?

Edited by Dan J

Thanks Dan. Would be too much of a mission I think to top 10k plants guerilla, although I would prefer it as it keeps the plants shorter.

Interesting point on the 2 grows with full and half strength lighting. So less nutrients but hopefully, even though less intake, what is absorbed is given to the bud sights to develop.

Not sure on the shade cloth question mate. We're using a semi-transparent greenhouse film with 91% or thereabouts light transmission I believe, works a charm. Yet to see yield, but I'd say the ones under the film will have 5-15% less than the ones in full sun

For a couple of years i grew on a ridge that basically ran from north to south, and i can vouch that i grew far better plants on the western side of the ridge than on the eastern side. Naturally, the Eastern side copped the morning sun until a bit after noon, and the Western side had broken light from about 10:30am and full sun from noon onwards.

The results were that good (better than half) i'd never consider growing in predominant morning sun anymore, afternoon sun is where it's at for mine. :good:

• Upvote 3

Thanks Dan. Would be too much of a mission I think to top 10k plants guerilla, although I would prefer it as it keeps the plants shorter.

wow, hats off to you, 10,000 plants! ( dont see how thats possible in a non legal country  :good: )

greenhouse film seems interesting, would suburban neighbors and police choppers be able to identify cannabis plants? 

^ thats the only reason for the 30% shade cloth 

good luck with the grow