Cannabis flowering time

Coyote

Hi all. I am a relatively new grower and also new to this forum. I have done a lot of reading on cannabis flowering time but I would like to know if the flowering time for cannabis starts at the beginning of when you flip to 12/12 or when plants start to show their gender (about 2 weeks). So would a plant that takes 8 weeks to complete flowering actually finish in 8 weeks from flipping to 12/12, or would the length be 8 weeks PLUS an extra 2 weeks before they show sex, making for a total of 10 weeks. Any help appreciated. Hope I am clear enough in my writing.

Cheers.

The info a seed bank gives is just a rough guide of how long it be flowering.

When turning to flower some people will count from the day they turned others will wait till they see there 1st signs of flowering, and plant can show sex with in a few days of turning to 12/12 or could take 2 weeks they are all diffrent.

In the end it is up to u when u start the count for flowering...

• Upvote 3

many folks have diff takes on this 

1st off a plant will show sex b4 going into flower ( depending on age ) so you should know which plants to kill b4 hitting the flower button to 12/12 

there are many factors while growing a plant that can take it longer to finish making the flower time quoted from a breeder void 

there is so much that can happen in the last weeks of flower that can be missed when sticking to breeders recommendations 

causing many to harvest to early 

i say ignore breeders flowering times & go by plant markers like pistils going brown calyx's filling out giving buds weight & finally 

triscombe heads moving from clear to cloudy to amber  

use these maker points to give you the best harvest time & as ozzy said use the breeders times just as a guide 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 2

Personally I don't keep an exact count on weeks but rather go by the plant's signs and as Ozzy and Itchy explain each plant is different.

Some go solely by weeks, some go solely by the browning of the pistils, some go solely by trichome colour. I use a combination of all 3.

At around 7-8weeks the first pistil appear and brown off, this is when 'most' commercial growers harvest.

BUT

If you leave her to mature a bit more those pistils brown off and disappear, but inside of the bud swells as a new set of pistils develop and burst forward. Those pistils are sticky and are trying to attract the pollen to produce seed. When no pollen is available the plant repeats the process over and over. I allow my plants to go through this process 3 times, which usually takes me to around 12weeks of 12/12. Then I flush for a week which takes me to around 13weeks of 12/12 in total.

The longer time period allows the plant to mature more in bud density, with flavour and with the stone increasing. It's well worth the wait (and weight) IMO

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 2