Indoors with Reg Beans

How do people manage this? For example under a 400w, I've got 8 small pots. These small pots would not be the ideal final pot size for 4 of the females that I'd expect to come up. For me, I'm no good at telling sex for sure until week 3 of flower. It's OK to repot I guess but ideally you shouldn't be repotting during flower?

I'm asking as it just seems a bit of a waste of medium if I'm going to throw half away, plus there's no space under the 400w for 8 full size pots whilst waiting to determine sex. Do people just wear it or is there a better way to manage things whilst waiting for the regs to show their sex?

MLG

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

I took clones, rooted them, and flipped the clones to sex the plants.

Original plants would stay in veg in the meantime.

You can always post pics and ask if anyone can determine if they're showing sex if you're unsure. There are some pretty sharp eyes here, especially when the pic/s are in focus. ^_^

Good luck!

:freak:

Well I pretty much only grow regs, if you wait till 3 weeks of flowering you will lose half your space

you need to sex them earlier, can be done by the time there about a foot tall(5/6 nodes) use ya tric magnifier, to check them

doubt your growing anything to extreme, some sativa's wont show till there huge or have been flipped to 12/12

the longest one i've had took 8 weeks of 12/12 to show sex, better of flipping a cutting to find out sex for the them ones 

running cuttings of your favorite strains is the go, they finish quicker, they are bushier, no need to slow them by topping 

and no need to sex them 

regs are more reliable and give you a better chance of finding something good, they provide much better breeding stock 

its probably only in my opinion these days tho, most of the the rest have gone to fems and autos lol 

• Upvote 2

These are being sexed at the moment, the front four are female and will go into 18 liter pots today,  the back four will show in the next few days 

good chance two are female and two are male, from what i can see so far

there in 4 liter pots, they stay in them till sexed, saves potting them up and wasting medium 

post-59916-0-07164900-1568065804_thumb.jpg

Edited by pedro de pacas
  • Upvote 2

Cheers pedro. You've done this before I'm guessing :) I think it all comes down to my dodgey eyes and my tiny 30x jewellers loupe, need a new magnifier.

I've done only one grow (my current) with regs and just didn't have the confidence to bin what I thought were males until week 3 of flower when the balls were very obvious.

So what exactly do you look for? Balls appear first I've read and males are taller.

I prob didn't make it easy for myself as I started to top it very early on, around the 4th node. Wonder if the stress of that made things slow down also in terms of showing sex?

So I think next time, I won't touch them until I'm confident of sex.

MLG

These are being sexed at the moment, the front four are female and will go into 18 liter pots today, the back four will show in the next few days

good chance two are female and two are male, from what i can see so far

there in 4 liter pots, they stay in them till sexed, saves potting them up and wasting medium

Cheers pedro. You've done this before I'm guessing :) I think it all comes down to my dodgey eyes and my tiny 30x jewellers loupe, need a new magnifier.

I've done only one grow (my current) with regs and just didn't have the confidence to bin what I thought were males until week 3 of flower when the balls were very obvious.

So what exactly do you look for? Balls appear first I've read and males are taller.

I prob didn't make it easy for myself as I started to top it very early on, around the 4th node. Wonder if the stress of that made things slow down also in terms of showing sex?

So I think next time, I won't touch them until I'm confident of sex.

MLG

Hi MLG , start at 60x loupe an upbove.

Not clear enough with a 30x ..

this vid is pretty interesting . I did something different this year and planted a bunch of reg seeds out early winter and let them grow in my greenhouse.

they showed sex last month and I culled the males now hoping the girls will reveg when the days get longer and harvest normally next autumn. Should be a nice size 

Great question Pedro. I wonder the same thing. I can typically tell ladies fairly well around week 8 veg , males as early as 6 weeks. However I manage by using multiple intermediate pot sizes between final flower pot and seedling pot. That gives enough room and time for sexing while not taking over the grow room waiting for sex. I veg indoors 10 weeks min and can repot up to three time but twice typically.....

God I’d love a bigger grow area!

I do hate the amount of soil I use but it’s my own organic mix so I just recycle it.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

• Upvote 1