Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

Medical? Yes. It can take a bit of pissin around (and $$$) going through all of the govt approvals to get it, but you can get it in Brissy.

My former chemist was in Belmont and they used FastPost overnight express to deliver anywhere in Oz. You could just drive over lol

Due to COVID and all the fun'n'games I had with couriers (They took my script to Belmont, WA and not Belmont, QLD), I changed chemist.

The other point to consider is cost. Admittedly, the costs have reduced, somewhat, since this topic was started. The last script I had filled cost $155/10gms flower(Bud). When I stated the bud it was $223/5gms.

Medical Canna is not PBS listed, so it's price isn't as regulated. Some chemists have well over 100% markup, so it really pays to shop around to find the best price. Some have courier fees, some don't. Some simply won't stock it at all.

The canna Dr started me off on an oil and depending on how your illness is affecting you, smoking may not be appropriate, in which case a digestible oil may be more appropriate. The canna dr would discuss all of this with you prior to you obtaining a script anyway.

Hope it helps

Merl1n 

You've gotta get a GP referral to start the process, but after that it was all the canna dr. Like I say the TGA and ODC approvals are the costly bit, from memory (and my memory is shithouse) it cost around $800 and that was before any meds.

Now the processes may have changed somewhat, the the basics would still be the same. I started this topic so others would know the up's and downs of the whole process, because the government have made it such a piss around to try and navigate it all. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you go have a read of the whole topic from the start. There's some links in there for a few differing clinics, do a bit of investigation 'cos they've all got differing processes and fees.

And ahh, yea, the quality ain't bad. I've got a mix of 4 differing buds here which I rotate, depending on my needs. And, yea, I like lol lol lol

Merl1n

A really interesting thread. I am impressed with your record keeping and the way you described MS so clearly Merl1n.

I have been using medically prescribed Nano-CBD spray and cbd oil for a while, but it really plays havoc with my gut. I thought I might try vaping instead, but it appears I have chosen the only canna doc who doesn’t prescribe flowers and their oil vape system costs way too much.

I already have a dry herb vaporiser (pax3) and nothing to put in it (yet). I am afraid that if I try another canna provider, I might be labelled a “doctor shopper” since all approvals go though the TGA. Also, it seems you have to use their approved vaporiser which differs from place to place.

Chronic pain sucks big time.

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Hey Misstishy,

"...and the way you described MS so clearly Merl1n..."

I worked in the disability sector for many years, some of my former clients had MS. I had a sister in law who also had MS and with my own neuro journey/rollercoaster I've had a bit more of an education on 'brains' than most. Many medicos speak in their own jargon and for people who are already stressed as all hell, jargon can be confusing/infuriating . I try to break it down to it's simplest terms, easier to try and comprehend.

The whole medical canna approvals processes (and costs) are just bureaucratic bullshit IMHO ie Tick this box, Answer that question...PAY THE BILL ...Approved.

But something about the approvals. It's to approve for 'THAT' specific Dr to prescribe 'THAT' particular medication. My canna dr has changed 3 times and those approvals have all needed to be reapplied for. From memory, there are 2 approvals needed, one approval was a simple change over, the other has to be reapplied for with all of the paperwork repeated, well, it was with my approval renewal.

"...it seems you have to use their approved vaporiser..." Nope. Not me. I was told that the canna dr would prefer I use a dry herb vape, which I do have. But I just use a pipe.

In the beginning they started me off on an oil but digestible (non smokable) and eventually the canna dr prescibed me bud. Speaking to others it seems many dr's start out with oil first.

But this 'You must use our equipment' ??????? That's BULLSHIT. Sounds like someone's out to make an extra $$$$ on the side. I wonder what the TGA have to say about that???

'Medical' equipment has to go through some fairly stringent testing, approval process, patent registry etc

If 'Their' device is to administer an "approved medication" there would be legal requirements for that method of administration. And if that cost is to be absorbed by the patient, then such costs maybe tax deductible OR as a medical device there may even be Medicare deductions. Might be worth investigating that.

Here's a link that could be useful Cannabis Clinics Australia | Prices, Locations & More | honahlee

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hi Merl1n. Thanks for the link. I will check out the device particulars- maybe health insurance might help pay for it. But I agree, it is a money making venture for the gov to select a particular vaporiser as the “ approved” device when then there are others equal to it in specs.

I can’t wait for my little lady to finish growing CBD Auto x OG Kush

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Hey Tishy,

I would think that to be patented in it's own right, it would need some sort of unique method of administration. That could be something simple like a 'child lock' on the device or a unique type of carrier oil or evaporation technique possibly.

I've had... let's just say 'some', extensive experience with medicos and I won't play their games anymore. "the only canna doc who doesn’t prescribe flowers" Nope. I'm the patient. If that dr or that pharmacy are not meeting my needs, there needs to be a change. I've changed both Dr's and pharmacies due to this.

For years I was taught 'The Dr is always Right', and I lived that 'listen to the dr's' motto, but when you get burnt by the medicos you start to question that attitude. I got burnt REAL bad by the medical fraternity, I played their games for years. I don't play no more. Their judgement doesn't count, I'm the patient, this is about me, not them. If my needs aren't being met, it's time for a change.

• Upvote 1