Medical Access

merl1n

Question

A couple of months ago I asked my GP about obtaining cannabis to treat my ongoing symptoms.

"Ohh ahhh, I don't know anything about the processes, I wouldn't know where to start..."

Being that I'm in SA and there being no clinic's here (our state Gov't (Liberal) still have their heads buried firmly up their own arses)  I thought the whole process would be a waste of time

I went investigating and found a clinic in NSW, who would go through the whole process online.

So after a couple of weeks of paperwork both from myself and my GP, today I got the call from the clinic and have had the initial approval.

I now have to obtain the approval from the TGA but from what I've been told this should not be a problem and should take less than a week.

The Dr I spoke to has told me that what he would be prescribing is a CBD and THC combination as my situation is pain related.

I asked the Dr about the cost of the medication itself as it is NOT on the PBS and I have to say it is NOT cheap.

The Dr himself would not actually tell me a defined cost but advised me to call the chemist in Victoria.

Upon doing so I was told $270/50ml + postage ($30), so $300 delivered. First thought "Fuck, it'd be cheaper to go buy an ounce" but have decided to follow through with the process.

At this point I have not been told of the recommended dosages, so how long that 50ml is going to last I am unsure.

I am also unsure if I may be able to get my local chemist to get it in for me or whether it needs to come from an approved compounding chemist, solely in Victoria.

So the processes have been started. The dr and the prepaid TGA approvals have cost me $550 so far (that's without the script itself), so let's see how much more it's gonna cost

When I have any further info I will let you all know.

Just thought others maybe interested

Merl1n

• Upvote 7

I FINALLY GOT'EM!!!

One Bedrocan 5gm @ $124

and

One Beacon - Pink Kush 10gm @ $155

Plus $20 postage

attachicon.gifDSC_0268.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0270.JPG

Merl1n

Cool Merlin , I am going to ask my Canna doctor about some of that pink kush.

As it cost me $110.00 for 5 gm of tilray flower plus $15.00 postage  they don't   even tell you what the strain is. what a joke hey. It is costing me around the  $500.00 mark every month Not cheap hey Merlin.

I better go before I start to rant lol :bounce:   

Merl1n,

Hey! we chatted years ago back in about 2016 from memory.  Anyways, I just wanted to add to this chat.

I emailed a GP in VIC yesterday,organised a teleconference today and now have Pharmacy in VIC arranging to send me CBD oil Broad Spectrum.  Cost of prescription $0 (thanks tax payers) I dont know cost of meds yet but was told to expect about $10 a day.

I googled and found

https*://*honahlee.*com.*au/cannabis-doctors-australia*/  (remove asterixis)

• Upvote 1

More dramas.

Back in July I posted regarding issues with a change in the canna Dr, which required new TGA approvals. Well, now the 'new' canna dr has also left the practice, so I have to go through the processes AGAIN.

I expressed my severe dissatisfaction, in no uncertain terms, to the receptionist, she told me she would call me back. About 2 hrs later she returned my call. She informed me that she had spoken to management and it was agreed to waive the $80 fee to establish a new prescribing Dr. She tried to put it back on the TGA as the required approvals are for the prescribing dr and not the patient, but, again, that's outside of my control. As far as I'm concerned if they know they are having a change in dr's then the practice should be contacting each affected patient and informing them of the changes prior.

So, I thought 'it won't really matter ATM as the last canna dr gave me a few repeat scripts', so I called the chemist to fill them. Turns out that the Pink Kush is now out of stock, OHH FFS, but there is another option, it's just it cost $100 more for the same quantity, 10gms. WTF!!!!! 

So, the bullshit continues.

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

Merlin, that sounds awful. Not much that you have posted makes me want to go down the legal route. Hassle and cost being the main impediments.

It is such a pity that legal medical has not got its act together, at least in your case. I'd be writing to relevant ministers by now if it was me, even though it sounds like an issue with your doctor. 

I have to ask how much is 10 grams now, with a $10 increase per gram? I've never sold pot, but if I did $10 total per gram sounds fair, given what it takes to produce. Can't believe that increase. Wow.

At one point I looked into becoming a legal grower and the red tape to do so is immense, but the biggest cost I think would be security. You have to have a secure facility which would cost heaps. Maybe that is the main reason for the cost of the product, because cannabis in a legal market should be quite cheap. Instead legal seems pricier.  Wish we would go down the route of small producers and cannabis clubs. Seems big business wins every time in Oz.

Edited by freddie

Hey Freddie,

Yea, it seems to be drama after drama. It's my belief that the government/s have agreed to make it available but then made it such an expensive piss around that people just give up on it. That way they can say 'Well, obviously nobody really needs it". I'm in SA, our state pollies (Liberal) are dead against it and the deputy premier has come out stating it will never be supported in this state. It costs twice as much here compared to other states, hence I get mine from VIC. But right from the start of the process I stated 'I'm going to follow through and keep other members informed of the processes and the bullshit of obtaining legal access...' so that others know.

"I have to ask how much is 10 grams now..." That seems to vary quite a bit depending on the grower/supplier and the chemist. Because it's not PBS approved it seems the pharmacy can charge what ever they like. I have 2 types of flower. One is $124 for 5gms, the other is $149 for 10gms. But I have another script waiting to be filled at the chemist which is $245 for 10gms. I refuse to pay $245. It's just bullshit pricing.

"...but the biggest cost I think would be security..." And I agree. There was talk at one point that the former Holden's factory in SA, which has double security fencing and security cameras around the premise was going to be used as a grow production facility, but I haven't heard anything more about it. There's also a former pharmaceutical production facility, formerly, Fauldings, which has all of the security protocols already in place, but again the talk of that being utilized has died down.

Under a Liberal govt big business is always going to win and you can't get much bigger than BIG pharma. It's all about the sacred $$$$$ and to hell with the patients who may benefit. The state government say its a Federal matter and the feds say it's a state matter, it's just a joke.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

It really is ridiculous how difficult and expensive it is to access medicinal cannabis compared to opiods.

It is frustrating, cruel and just bad healthcare.

Ta

Mick

Actually getting opiates legally can be difficult as well these days. I have severe chronic back pain, and a recent change of doctors, who now refuse to prescribe opiate based medicine at all. I got a lecture about how they don't really work, and can be harmful long term, bla bla. They should try living with pain every day. So they give me Panadol osteo. I may as well eat tic tacs. The American opiate crisis has spooked a lot of doctors, rightfully so I guess. But for those of us who are responsible and careful with medicine, it just seems a bit cruel.

Edited by freddie
  • Upvote 2

I can only give you +1 Freddie, but I want to give you +100.

I'm still having a bit of an issue with the GP and opiates, it was only this morning that the conversation continued. If the Dr had another option I'd be more than willing to trial it, but he doesn't. I've already been through such trials and what works, the only thing that works, is opiate based. Canna assists me to cutback on my use of opiates, but to be thinking that canna is a painkiller is wrong.

The American opiate crisis has been a crisis of it's own making. It's what happens when you let big business, big pharma rule. But the Australian health system is very different to the American system. We already have many checks and balances in place to monitor such medications and although I agree regulation of such substances is required, compassion and understanding that for those of us who know pain, we have a genuine need. Look, I hate the fuckin things, hell if I could avoid them altogether I most certainly would, but that's not the reality I live with.

"... it just seems a bit cruel." ABSOLUTELY. I've often said "If you kept an animal in this state of pain you'd be charged with a crime, namely animal cruelty, but a person... Ohh, that's different..." There's something VERY wrong there. Now, there is a legal standing known as a 'Duty of Care' which Dr's have and their own Hippocratic Oath. Part of the issue with the Hippocratic Oath is an often referred to text 'Do no harm' because it could be argued that by providing opiates there maybe a risk of harm. But in my view that argument could be used in any number of issues. There's a risk that by driving you 'could' have an accident, so people cannot drive to work because there is a risk of harm. The Hippocratic oath is open to interpretation, where a duty of care removes some of that ambiguity. (P.S. Dr's HATE being reminded they have a duty of care. They can get VERY anti indeed).  

Merl1n

• Upvote 2

Hi Merlin.

Once again many thanks for the Rx updates and prices. Invaluable information. On average I think I spend about $25-35 a week on seeds with regular plantings, duds and losses keep me fairly well supplied.

When I started working with Drs in the late 60's, I rapidly came to the realisation that it is in fact the "HYPOCRITIC oath".

Do no harm, but we will gladly kill you with VAD. As long as the political class agree. Do as I say not as I do. My acid dealer in the 70's was a young liberal party member.

Happy vaping.

I'm just a dumb pup.