Fungus Gnats or Something Else?

If you're seeing that many on them mate they already have laid their eggs,because u have persisted to not let them dry out your soil is more than likely infested with larvae,where do u think those adults came from

U might get lucky n prevent any damage,or your roots have already been attacked n the evidence will appear on the plant itself soon,it will look similar to nutrient defiency or nutrient lockout

Best treat ,let them completely dry out,pot is as light as it will get,then wait 3 days n treat again,get what ever u have on top of your soil off so it can dry out

Treatment with neem doesn't necessarily kill them,but making the environment bug unfriendly will

Gnats won't go in soil that stays dry,a good fan not a pissy little thing over the top of your pots will also stop them getting comfortable ,I know your plant needs water,a old friend of mine ,Greenqueen,was a never afraid to let her pots completely dry out to the point that they started to droop,then water

This I think is a strategy u should adopt

There were several reasons she did this,don't think any one here is gonna knock her methods or results, maybe u should read 1 of her grow diaries,you will get all the information u require to grow a decent plant in soil in a pot ,much more information than u will get from Google or most ppl on here

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Well billy thinks were all DCs for our suggestions. He won't say why though. [emoji23]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

Wow, this thread was active over the weekend!  Liking the addition of dad jokes. 

An update of my situation.  I've let the pots dry a bit, but that was always part of the plan.  I had some over-watering problems previously in this grow and it turned out the pots were too small with poor drainage.  Bigger pots with better drainage has resolved that and will likely help with the gnats.  I have a good solid surface application of DE now too.  I meant to try a neem drench yesterday, but work schedule interfered with that plan.  However, I don't have any new gnats stuck on the yellow card.  So maybe it was a small infestation and won't be a problem.  I'll do a neem drench in a couple days when I'm due to water again.  This is a organic grow and in the vein of Living Organic Soil.  I realize 27L pots are kinda small for a full LOS, but organic and another learning step.  Thus, I'll skip any harsh measures like H2O2 to keep the bacteria & fungus as happy as they can be in smallish pots.

A question.  I've been reading up on various foliar IPM sprays including neem.  I'm also reading on nutrient sprays too, just for educational purposes.  How do you guys spray leaves in regards to your lighting schedule?  It is widely said to spray with lights off to avoid burning the leaves with powerful lights.  Makes sense and I've burned a few leaves with plain water drops before.  It follows that I should spray with lights off, simple .... however, with cannabis we gotta be careful with light schedules and keeping total darkness during flowering.  You guys spray in the dark?  Sounds like a messy operation with plenty of risk to accidentally expose the plants to light.  Or do you just spray a few minutes before the timers turn off the lights?  Just don't want to stress the plants more and end up with hermies....

Side note.  I listened to a podcast interview with a bloke from Optic Foliar.  The Overgrow spray sounded good, so I emailed them to ask where I can buy it.  They just picked up a retailer in AUS and a shipment of OF products is on the way right now.  Don't know who the retailer is, but hopefully it will show up at the various online hydro shops soon.

Wow, this thread was active over the weekend!  Liking the addition of dad jokes. 

An update of my situation.  I've let the pots dry a bit, but that was always part of the plan.  I had some over-watering problems previously in this grow and it turned out the pots were too small with poor drainage.  Bigger pots with better drainage has resolved that and will likely help with the gnats.  I have a good solid surface application of DE now too.  I meant to try a neem drench yesterday, but work schedule interfered with that plan.  However, I don't have any new gnats stuck on the yellow card.  So maybe it was a small infestation and won't be a problem.  I'll do a neem drench in a couple days when I'm due to water again.  This is a organic grow and in the vein of Living Organic Soil.  I realize 27L pots are kinda small for a full LOS, but organic and another learning step.  Thus, I'll skip any harsh measures like H2O2 to keep the bacteria & fungus as happy as they can be in smallish pots.

A question.  I've been reading up on various foliar IPM sprays including neem.  I'm also reading on nutrient sprays too, just for educational purposes.  How do you guys spray leaves in regards to your lighting schedule?  It is widely said to spray with lights off to avoid burning the leaves with powerful lights.  Makes sense and I've burned a few leaves with plain water drops before.  It follows that I should spray with lights off, simple .... however, with cannabis we gotta be careful with light schedules and keeping total darkness during flowering.  You guys spray in the dark?  Sounds like a messy operation with plenty of risk to accidentally expose the plants to light.  Or do you just spray a few minutes before the timers turn off the lights?  Just don't want to stress the plants more and end up with hermies....

Side note.  I listened to a podcast interview with a bloke from Optic Foliar.  The Overgrow spray sounded good, so I emailed them to ask where I can buy it.  They just picked up a retailer in AUS and a shipment of OF products is on the way right now.  Don't know who the retailer is, but hopefully it will show up at the various online hydro shops soon.

def wanna protect your lighting from foliar over spray

spraying just after lights out for a few minutes ain't gunna cause you any probs as cooper said 

for IPM spraying you do wanna cover everything , top & bottom of leaves , stems & the top surface of the pot 

if your spraying nutrient sprays then leaves top & bottom 

if your spraying inoculates , back spray everything like IPM spraying 

also a good idea to spray or soil drench an inoculate after a pest or pathogen spray or drench 

like what K9 said he's doing with EM = Effective Microorganisms  

have no idea on the overgrow spray but there's lots of sprays that do a pretty good job without the cost 

of a pretty labelled bottle of someone else's profits :)

have you had a read of this yet https://buildasoil.com/pages/the-complete-system worth the read if you have the time 

pretty much talks about ditching the bottles & growing organically 

sharing the love is a healthy state of mind 

post-50689-0-25245200-1558921290_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

if you have a shower/bathtub nearby ... grab the plants put them in the tub and give them heaps with your pump sprayer. wait till they dry out a bit, so you don't track neem through the house and put them back in your tent. :)

saves heaps of clean up and a bit of hassle ... as long as there are no blumats in place.

if spraying in a tent ... like coop and itchy said ... i also wait till the 315w is warm to touch (or should say ... warm when i put my fingers about 1cm from it ... don't want any smudges:)) and stick a bit of panda film over the entire light fixture ...

i have one of those cheapo gypsy cords and led lights that you can select the colour of, set up in my tent ... that way you can switch it on (on white ) if you are not going to take too long to spray in your tent ... or green, if things need a bit extra work or you don't want to be rushed. :) beauty of these ... you can screw them into a small lamp as well and that can be put in the bathroom, if needed.

regarding spraying during flower ... different opinions on this one ... i finish my IPM spraying when i can start to see a fair few pistils at bud sites. by this time (depending on how long in veg), the plants have usually had a fair few sprays (every 7-10 days from 3rd or 4th node). most times, i don't see any gnats or flying bugs after three sprays ... but make sure to continue until i see the pistils.

on other things ... good corn itchy.:)

Edited by pug1010

was time to do a neem spray today, so thought i'd take a few photos of how i do it ... might be a starting point and hopefully help with your set up ... this is for 500ml.

first thing ... set up the tent - cover the light (or move them to the side, in my case with household leds), remove anything else that wont play nice with the neem spray (for me ... i move my fans) and set up your lights (in this case, i have an led on a gypsy cord and also a green led headlamp). i also get a small piece of panda film that i hold behind the plant as i spray, to try and prevent spray going everywhere.

second thing ... mix the ingredients together ...

firstly ... make sure that the water is quite warm to hot - should be able to put your finger in it with out discomfort. then get all the components together ... neem oil, aloe vera powder, Potassium silicate, sprayer (for small plants, i use a manual sprayer that has a twisting nozzle), strainer, measuring spoons and a glass jar (to shake everything up).

next thing ... put aloe vera powder (0.2ml of 200x) into glass jar, then add warm water (approx 500ml)  ... then add neem (2ml) - it is nearly solid at around 22 degrees. when this is first added to warm water it will sit on the top and not mix.

next ... add the potassium silicate (0.6ml) and shake everything together. the ksil (potassium silicate) will emulsify the neem and make the mixture cloudy. then put a strainer over the spray bottle and pour into sprayer ... shake before use.

next ... put a tarp down outside the tent, turn your green lights on and start spraying the bottom of the lowest leaves first - this is because they will droop a bit during spraying. then work your way up - i do all the bottom of the leaves first. then spray on the top of the leaves. wipe down excess spray on tent walls and floor - i'm not too picky about mopping up all the excess spray, as i reckon a bit of leftover neem in the tent is a good thing. i just turn up the fans and make sure that it has all evaporated 30 minutes after spraying.

IPM spraying is a bit of a pain in the arse, but definitely worth it. i've found that having the right tools for the job, makes it a lot easier. would be good to get other notillers methods as well and see which is a good fit for you.

hope it helps :)

post-14354-0-30948700-1559028897_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-45577700-1559029088_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-76523200-1559029288_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-20220100-1559029397_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-49697500-1559030365_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-37189000-1559030396_thumb.jpg

post-14354-0-67805700-1559030434_thumb.jpg

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 1