Fungus Gnats or Something Else?

we shouldn't be arguing , this is silly , we've all got small cocks alright or maybe that's just me lol

sorry but i gotta say that was pretty impressive reply earlier bill , didn't think you'd keep going down the living

soil path like you have , top stuff mate

also , i'd be a little careful with bringing that pot indoors , remember it's had the luxury of a full

soil food web outdoors , you will loose half the web when you move indoors , some predators won't

be coming in with you & those bugs might be the ones keeping something else in check in your pot

you might be fine , don't do it if you have flowering plants in there already only to an empty rood

imho best to start an indoor eco system indoors & v a v outdoors

micmac there's nothing wrong with what your saying , i followed very similar principles for years

but as bill mentioned Veritas is trying to go down the no till growing path so i felt the need to mention

some of those methods , not as a " Your Fucken Wrong " attack mate

to be honest mic that sounds like you over watered , if you had a smell , that's not normal

a quality compost should never go rancid unless its too wet for to long

imho it would be better for Veritas to learn to water correctly for the long term benefit that

learning will give him

we don't have to justify our way of growing to anyone but ourselves

peace love & mung beans brother

Now on to those bottles cooper , you'd need to make sure but they are most likely Azadirachtin extract from neem

if you feel like a read here is a study from a uni in Thailand https://scielo.conicyt.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0718-95162015000400020

basically what they are saying is neem oil as a whole increases microbe populations

but the azadirachtin extrac had the opposite effect & decreased populations even though the aza is in the neem

but obviously not as strong

Ahhh itichy the soothing voice of reason. Love ya work mate. [emoji106][emoji106]

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

And yet, people think hyro is more difficult lol.

Complicated stuff this living soil. Not the place for it but I dont think I can trash this thred anymore so...

In living soils, what replenishes the O2 in the pots?

I ask this because in a pot full of living soil, the biological oxygen demand must be quite high and I would Imagine that available O2 would be snapped up very quickly by all sorts or critters. To me (I have very limited understanding of live soils) It seems likely that limited O2 in the root zone could be a common bottleneck.

Any thoughts?

Depends you have both anerobic and aerobic microbes which will work differently. I usually would say at watering it will naturally pull in o2 as the water goes through the substrate.

This comes to aeration in your soil and compaction though. Compaction will cause it to be too wet, too much aeration too dry.

The key to living soil is to keep it moist but not overmoist. Just for microbe life to thrive and live

• Upvote 1

cheers porky 

that's pretty much it carb

cooper , it can get that way at the start but all we're trying to do is mimic outdoors 

if you go to a untouched forest it's very difficult to see bare soil , most if not all is covered by mulch 

also consider there are trees hundreds of years old & no hose or powerfeed anywhere to be found 

how did they live so long ? Soil Life  

Veritas should just buy some blumats.

Watering issue sorted :)

On it mate, they arrived in the post today! I've got 4x Classic XL to trial. My only hesitation is the limited daily output. May need to add a few per pot during flowering. I know the Tropf versions can output a nearly unlimited amount, but I can't risk a stuck valve and the resulting flood in my current situation...
  • Upvote 1

On it mate, they arrived in the post today! I've got 4x Classic XL to trial. My only hesitation is the limited daily output. May need to add a few per pot during flowering. I know the Tropf versions can output a nearly unlimited amount, but I can't risk a stuck valve and the resulting flood in my current situation...

nice one veritas ... that makes at least three of us .:)

i'm putting in my blumat classics (XL) this lovely evening ... also on itchy's advice, got a couple of blumat digitals, so hopefully will be able to work out the right height

probably take a little adjusting, as would like to still do a drench (kelp/neem and also fulvic) every 7-10 days.

i use aloe @ 15ml per liter which i work out the powder buy weight

inner leaf powder is 10 grams of powder to make 1lt of aloe juice 

so 1.5 grams makes 150ml of aloe juice to add to 10lts of water 

aloe whole leaf powder is 20 grams of powder makes 1 liter of aloe juice 

in this case 3 grams makes 150ml of juice to add to 10lts of water 

these numbers are on the aloe powder container i buy depending on which 

aloe powder you have you might have diff ratios to me 

i also use potassium silicate @ 2.5ml per liter 

i round up 1 US gallon to 4 lts 

nice one mate. :)

that is definitely going the extra yard and makes sense. aloe is light as, so weight vs volume (especially for a dry substance) in a teaspoon measurement is a better method. also makes for quite a different result.

will add some more into my concoctions. :)

Edited by pug1010
  • Upvote 1