Defoliation mid to late flower

Hey crew !

I usually trim off a lot of leaves before flipping lights or within the first few weeks but what’s people opinions on defoliation during late flower ? Does it help to swell buds with more access to light or do you think it only helps the more shaded /popcorn buds .?

Second question I’ve heard fan leaves act like solar panels to help grow , is that more relevant in vegging stage and should all stay on or is it okay towards the end of flower to trim them to help fatten up popcorn buds that they are shading and leave sugar leaves on ?

I've got the same questions. Heard defol only up to end of week 3 in flower is good. Also depends on situation I guess. Like you I have a scrog so worried about leaves piling up on each other and issues with humidity, so I defol. I'm exactly 3 weeks from flip so I reckon only one more big defol and that's it. Interested in others opinions

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

• Upvote 1

I've got the same questions. Heard defol only up to end of week 3 in flower is good. Also depends on situation I guess. Like you I have a scrog so worried about leaves piling up on each other and issues with humidity, so I defol. I'm exactly 3 weeks from flip so I reckon only one more big defol and that's it. Interested in others opinions

Absolutely MLG - hope one of the heavy weights can weigh in on this for us :) was going to do a trim and make some butter but don’t want to stress them too late in the game if has opposite effects etc !

Fuck that almost made sense cooper lol

Good question jimboss, lets hope there is some good answers, don't really have an opinion on it lol, every plant/strain is different(unless their cuttings) 

sometimes i rip some shade leaves off, sometimes i take the wild animal approach, and just wildly rip the leaves to bits, like its been chewed by lamas(it happens)

probably not lamas, but ya get the drift 

other times i just leave them alone, its all good. only grow for the high/stone so have no interest in maximizing weight or piss farting around with them

although in another time and place i did lol

Defoliation is a hightly debated topic. There are plenty of arguements for and against but all you'll find is opinion.

My opinion is only defoliate if there is a problem > leaves smothering each other, lack of airflow etc. Otherwise, leave them alone.

My theory on heavy defloliation, is that it will result in more even buds and less fluffy shit but I'd be suprised if it didn't decrease the total yield.

Thanks cooper makes sense - first grow ever I did last year I didn’t defol and didn’t have enough airflow so had leaves touching one another and caused a bit of bud rot so try to maintain fans and air exchange since as well as light defol .

Fuck that almost made sense cooper lol

Good question jimboss, lets hope there is some good answers, don't really have an opinion on it lol, every plant/strain is different(unless their cuttings)

sometimes i rip some shade leaves off, sometimes i take the wild animal approach, and just wildly rip the leaves to bits, like its been chewed by lamas(it happens)

probably not lamas, but ya get the drift

other times i just leave them alone, its all good. only grow for the high/stone so have no interest in maximizing weight or piss farting around with them

although in another time and place i did lol

Yup good point as well leaving them alone I spose they don’t get trimmed in the wild (besides lamas lol) , my brother in law grew in the 80s and 90s and never defoliated ever maybe it’s new I dunno , but as I said to coop it fucked me the first time cause of my own mistakes to learn from with lack of airflow and humidity causing budrot so learning slowly with each grow.

I’m trying to get a few grows in to last me over winter when I’ll shut it down a couple months cause I have solar panels so running lights is cheap and just need personal smoke I can jar up and make oil etc

Yup good point as well leaving them alone I spose they don’t get trimmed in the wild (besides lamas lol) , my brother in law grew in the 80s and 90s and never defoliated ever maybe it’s new I dunno , but as I said to coop it fucked me the first time cause of my own mistakes to learn from with lack of airflow and humidity causing budrot so learning slowly with each grow.

I’m trying to get a few grows in to last me over winter when I’ll shut it down a couple months cause I have solar panels so running lights is cheap and just need personal smoke I can jar up and make oil etc

It's an addictive hobby. You won't be shutting down :)