Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium)

Hey guys i recently brought some wormwood (aka Artemisia absinthium), now how do i use it?

I know u drink it(duh), but how do u prepare it?

It says soak using vodka overnight and take out...

TO WHAT?

What do u do next - prepare it as tea? smoke it, eat it?...

:scratchin :scratchin :scratchin

-D3vu5.

Ohh i brought 50 grams ( :thumbsup )

This information is to be used for academic research purposes only. The author will not be held accountable for the use or misuse of the information contained in this message.

Absinthe#1

Ingredients:

1 pint, vodka

2 teaspoons, anise seed

4 cardamon pods

1/2 teaspoon, ground coriander

1--2/3 cups, sugar syrup* (mix sugar with boiled water then allow water mixture to cool)

2 teaspoons, crumbled wormwood (dried)

1/2 teaspoon, fennel seed

1 teaspoon, marjoram

2 teaspoons, chopped angelica root

Procedure:

Place vodka in large jar with tight fitting lid. Add wormwood and shake well; steep 48 hours and strain out. Crush seeds and pods in mortar. Add them and all remaining spices to vodka and steep in a warm place 1 week. Filter and sweeten. (The sugar syrup mentioned above is your standard simple syrup) fermenting, then filter it. Pour it into bottles, putting two raisins into each bottle. After a few days *I'd say leave it a week* it should be good enough to drink. Pour through several layers of cheese cloth. Squeeze dry, then add more water and squeeze again. Add water to make about 2 gallons, heat, and dissolve in sugars. Bring to boil, add citroid juices, and boil stirring frequently (to avoid excessive sugar carmelization) for about 30 minutes. Pur into fermenter containing 2+ gallons cold water carefully (to avoid hot stuff on cold glass) and add more water to make about 5 gallons. Pitch. Ferment. Bottle. Drink. and serendipity: I'd hate to try and reproduce it exactly. But I think there's good info in the recipe, which can be applied to other attempts.

Absinthe#2

Ingredients:

1 cup, vodka

1 teaspoon, crumbled wormwood

2 tablespoons, chopped peppermint leaves

1 piece, lemon peel, 3/4" x 2"

1/3 to 1/2 cup, sugar syrup

Procedure:

Steep wormwood in vodka for 48 hours. Strain out and add peppermint leaves and lemon peel. Steep for 8 days, strain and sweeten. Smells good but is more bitter than #1.

Absinthe Wine

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons, peppermint

2 teaspoons, thyme

2 teaspoons, hyssop

2 teaspoons, sage

2 teaspoons, dried wormwood

2 teaspoons, lavender

2 teaspoons, marjoram

2 pints, port

Procedure:

All herbs are dried. Steep herbs one week, filter and bottle. My notes describe this as "bitter, aromatic and potent". My gnome said "fuck that".

There was a fine article in Scientific American a couple years back which described the production of absinthe by the Pernod company, complete with their recipe.

An 1855 recipe from Pontarlier, France, gives the following instructions for making absinthe: Macerate 2.5 kilograms of dried wormwood, 5 kilograms of anise and 5 kilograms of fennel in 95 liters of 85 percent ethanol by volume. Let the mixture steep for at least 12 hours in the pot of a double boiler.

Add 45 liters of water and apply heat; collect 95 liters of distillate. To 40 liters of the distillate, add 1 kilogram of Roman wormwood, 1 kilogram of

hyssop and 500 grams of lemon balm, all of which have been dried and finely divided. Extract at a moderate temperature, then siphon off the liquor, filter, and reunite it with the remaining 55 liters of distillate. Dilute with water to produce approximately 100 liters of absinthe with a final alcohol concentration of 74 percent by volume (Arnold 1989).

Only problem is that the thujone content in the "off the shelf" bottles is not really enough to feel much effect. Especially when trying to detect it over the huge volume of alcohol consumed with it. That is why it is legal here.

In Checkoslovakia, and a couple of other Eastern Eurpean countries, I believe the real deal can still be aquired.

My brother purchased a kit online. He soaked it in everclear for three days, and then filtered it out through a cofee filter. His, also came with a seasoning pack wich was then soaked for three more days. then again filtered out. he was left with the finished product. It was not very tasty, but after a couple shots, we were feeling good.

I have smoked wormwood, I have smoked everything you could consider a legal high and they are shit.

Drinking wormwood on the otherhand is good.... I did make an oil out of it using acetone, and all it made me do was space out, no high, I would just stare at something for no fucking reason it was like being blonde. lol