Topping: Replant the top?

I'm planning on topping my plant as part of the Nebula's Manifold first stage.  The topped part will be 3 nodes of healthy plant, seems a waste to bin it.  Is it worth putting it in some water or a rooting plug?  I've never cloned before, but isn't this kinda the same thing?  I don't have space to replant it in my tent, but maybe I could stash it somewhere in the bush for a low effort guerrilla grow.  

You can clone the top, use some rooting hormone and place it in a plug. Before you take the cutting, have everything prepared and sterile. I used to use a Chinese food container, with holes drilled in the top(for multi cuttings). In the container was a hormone solution. As soon as I took the cutting it was placed straight into the solution( you want the cutting to take up as little of air embolisms as possible.)  Cut off bottom veg matter, taking care not to damage stalk, place in plug 25mm. Strike it under a light source(preferably cfl, my opinion) same length of time as at present. Keep the cutting in a slightly humid environment. Some people suggest paring back the shade leaves to approx 1/2 the size(helps cut down transpiration of the cutting), I've used both cut and original state methods, both work.

While striking keep plug moist, spritz with a spray bottle a couple of times a day(helps against transpiration)

What happens during cloning simply is, the cutting will first form a jelly around the Cambium layer. This will grow into what is called a Corm, from this will grow roots and the cutting becomes a viable plant again. This is all a fragile process, try to disturb the cutting as little as possible.

NO food at any stage of the cloning process.

If you place it outside it will most likely go to flower after transfer to a shorter light source. What the hey, you still might get a 2' tall bud.

Edited by ZEN2U
  • Upvote 2

Forgot to include, when you take the cutting use a 45* cut. This does 2 things, 1, it leaves a cut on the part you are growing on that will not let water sit on the cut,bad, can cause rot. 2, it exposes more Cambium layer to the the rooting process.

Hope you have success if you try your hand at cloning.

• Upvote 1

Hell yea. It is a cutting and has the same genetics as the original (aka mother) plant.

Some people consider this to be cloning, although technically not a clone, just a cutting.

Personally I do this with every grow, I take 5-10 cuttings and immediately dip them in purple (hardwood) Clonex, then straight into a 1/2 strength nutrient soaked Rockwool cube

Then straight under a fluro light, until the bottom of a 3in x 3in rockwool cube is covered in white roots, then pot her up

Well that's what I do anyways

Merl1n

Not to worry Veritas, the cutting may survive yet. You would be surprised at a plants ability to survive even in the absence of a rooting hormone.

Unfortunately, too late this time.  They wilted overnight when I didn't get right on it.  But I'll have some more in a week or two.  And in future grows I can plan ahead with a game plan.

I used to take 60 cuttings at a time(a fair while ago). I deemed anything below a 5% loss rate a success, because I only needed 50 viable plants at a time. Sterility and a basic understanding of plant biology is all you really need. The whole process can be applied to a vast number of plant cuttings.

You can even down to the meristematic level, if you have a lab. Often used in mass plant production where only tissue culture ensures absolute unique reproduction of a single plant. The flower industry uses this method a lot.