First Supersoil & Greenthumbs questions

I'm midway through my first grown, DWC in a small tent.  I'm thinking I might try a soil grow next, because keeping my hydro reservoir cool is difficult.  Supersoil has appeal to me, because it sounds like most of the hard work is done at the mixing/cooking stage.   After that I just gotta keep the moisture correct.  Sound right?

I'm interested in the Dr Greenthumbs type all-in-one mixes.  I realize I could follow Subcool's recipe, but I only need a single pot's worth per grow and I'm willing to put convenience over bulk purchase cost savings. A couple quick questions:

1. Is something like Dr Greenthumbs Super Soil kit + myco innoculant + compost tea a complete system?  Assuming I add the suggested coco/compost/perlite as directed.  I searched the forum and some people seem to be adding other things: kelp, crustacean shells, bug poo, etc.  I'm hoping to balance KISS with good yield...
  2. Super soil recipes suggest cooking for 1-3months.  Anything wrong with a longer cook?  A 30L batch will last multiple one plant grows.  Does it improve with time or does the living component die out.  Assuming I keep the soil moist and turn-over weekly.
  3. I believe Supersoil is meant to be used on the bottom of your pot with regular potting soil on top.  I've seen the bottom Supersoil component recommend as 25%, 33%, and 50%.  Is there any rhyme or reason here?  I was leaning towards 33%, simply because it is the middle ground...

Thanks for the help!

• Upvote 1

1. Yes. You could say it is a complete system. Just like you could say that an a and b base nute is a complete system in hydro. Plant will still grow, add a heap of additives, probably grow a bit better.

I'm guessing that's a water only soil?

There will be a percentage of kelp and worm castings in that mix. As the plant grows, different top dresses can be added.

Then after a cycle, a re amending mix may be added or top dressed.

It's all about balancing the soil and basically getting the worms and the micro life to do it for you.

2. Longer won't matter if kept moist like you say.

It will improve with time for the soil is tended to, can't expect it to produce a canna plant over and over, gotta put back in.

3. I think the thinking is that as the plant matures the mature roots will handle the hotter soil. I personally think that if the soil is a bit hot then a cup size of peat or Coco can be used as a buffer. Seen a good few reputable breeders layer so must be something to it. Don't think there's a right or wrong here.

If it's just the 1x 30l I'd buy their water only kit and all that, use their re amending kit after each grow, throw in a compost tea or something if you like or grab a bag of kelp and top dress a few times.

Good luck

Edited by Carbcon

I guess I need to get a list of the ingredients and see if they have "everything" in there.  Seems there are a lot of amendments that can be mixed in to a super soil, but I'll try to KISS.  

If anybody has experience using the Greenthumbs SS kit with or without bonus goodies, I'd love to hear.

I see there is a forum member with the name dr.greenthumb1985, wonder if it is the same guy?

Edited by Veritas629
  • Upvote 1

Their super soil amendments kit is good. I have used it.

Just had a look at their site, the water only soil will fit what you want.

I would add a mulch.

In theory after harvest you use their re amending kit. This is the simplest way, use their stuff and follow instructions and you won't go wrong.

Could bypass this and perhaps just give back to the soil as the plant grows, could probably harvest one day and replant the next if you leave enough space in pot to top dress castings\kelp etc.

On the surface mate.

Keep the soil at a better temp and moisture level.

Provides an organic food source.

Mulch helps with watering too, can fire it in there and not damage the soil as the mulch filters it down nicely to the soil line.

I use Lucerne hay as mulch but lots of other straws can be used.

It can be mixed into soil but it would be organic matter and will break down, Scotia, pumice, rice hulls, perlite etc can all be used for aeration. Rice hulls and perlite will still break down over time.

Edited by Carbcon