Tassie News

Guest Urbanhog

Guest Urbanhog

I was looking up news at the Newstext.com.au website, where I use often for my correspondce studies, and I was looking up some news from my old "homeland" (excuse me guys, I'ven't got second "head" :lol: I grew up in Tassie, but wasn't born there lol ) There's 3 stories (all connected with day by day news from the court) about a lady from Bruny Island, she got busted with $54,000 worth of pot and walked away free with suspended jail term..... (lucky bitch)

The Mercury, Hobart

Edition 1 -THU 21 NOV 2002, Page 007

Pair, 82, on drug charge

A MAN and his wife, both aged 82, have been charged with selling drugs.

They were charged after Southern Drug Investigation Service detectives searched a house at Chigwell.

The couple have been charged with selling a controlled plant product, namely cannabis.

They have been bailed to appear in the Hobart Magistrates Court on December 23.

I knew these Oldies, one of their sons went to my old school, we were couple of years apart. They were doing a good business I heard as a lot of their "customers" respected them for some odd reasons, maybe it's their age? It's not the first time they got raided, I think it's because they knew 'cos of their "age" and "health" the judge will never sent them to jail, due Tassie's different laws. Heheheh.....

this one (below) kinda of makes me laugh....the way people get busted, and all these silly excuses they make at the court.... heheh

[*]The Mercury, Hobart

Edition 1 -TUE 08 OCT 2002, Page 003

$54,000 cannabis was for own use, court told

A BRUNY Island woman accused of drug trafficking says 300 cannabis plants police found were for her own use.

In a video interview, Suzanne Moell, 42, of Resolution Rd, Adventure Bay, said she was surprised how well the plants grew.

When asked why she planted so many, Ms Moell said: ``I wasn't sure they would all take. I didn't expect the plants to be that bloody big.''

The Supreme Court in Hobart heard yesterday the marijuana was valued at about $54,000.

Ms Moell said she was a chronic cannabis smoker and thought she would have enough cannabis for two years. She said the cannabis was for personal use.

Ms Moell denied she grew the quantity of plants to sell.

``I was hoping for a couple of pounds to smoke for the year,'' she said.

She smoked a joint a day, and each one weighed about one gram.

``I'm a very heavy, chronic [smoker],'' Ms Moell said.

The court was told police found plants growing in compounds and drying in the house, along with two sets of scales and small zip-lock plastic bags.

Ms Moell pleaded not guilty to trafficking a prohibited plant on April 11.

The trial continues today.

[*]The Mercury, Hobart

Edition 1 -WED 09 OCT 2002, Page 007

Woman not guilty of drug trafficking

A BRUNY Island woman was yesterday found not guilty of drug trafficking but guilty of possessing 300 cannabis plants and 8.6kg of drying cannabis.

Suzanne Moell, 42, of Resolution Rd, Adventure Bay, on Monday denied trafficking a prohibited plant on April 11.

Moell was remanded in custody for sentence this morning in the Supreme Court in Hobart.

The court heard that the drying cannabis was valued at about $54,000.

Moell said she was a chronic cannabis smoker and thought she would have enough cannabis for two years.

She said the cannabis was for personal use.

Moell denied she grew the plants to sell.

Police found plants growing in compounds and drying in the house, along with two sets of scales and small zip-lock plastic bags

[*]The Mercury, Hobart

Edition 1 -THU 10 OCT 2002, Page 009

Suspended jail term for cannabis crop

A BRUNY Island woman was given a suspended jail term yesterday for possessing Indian hemp worth about $54,000.

Suzanne Moell, 42, of Resolution Rd, Adventure Bay, had denied trafficking a prohibited plant on April 11.

In the Supreme Court in Hobart, the jury could not agree on the trafficking charge but found her guilty of possessing more than 300 cannabis plants and 8.6kg of drying cannabis. She had said it was for personal use.

Justice Peter Underwood said possessing such a large amount of cannabis was dangerous. He said Moell had previously been convicted in March 2000 of the same offence, but within 18 months she had planted another crop, larger than the first.

He sentenced her to five months' jail, suspended on condition she commit no drug offences for two years.

Here's other one about Jockeys with Cannabis in their system got barred........

The Mercury, Hobart

Edition 1 -SAT 28 SEP 2002, Page 094

Jockeys barred for drug use

By SEAN STEVENSON

TWO Tasmanian jockeys have been suspended on marijuana charges.

Veteran rider Terry McAllister and apprentice James Nevin both pleaded guilty at an inquiry this week.

An analysis of a urine sample taken from McAllister at Mowbray racecourse on September 8, showed the presence of the drug THC, the main psychoactive component of marijuana.

McAllister, who had two previous offences for the same banned substance, has been suspended from riding in races, trials and track work for 18 months.

The suspension will expire at midnight on March 16, 2004.

Nevin was tested at Elwick racecourse on September 1.

His sample also indicated the presence of THC.

Nevin has been suspended for three months.

His suspension will expire at midnight on December 6.

Stewards have also ordered the pair to attend a recognised rehabilitation program. The jockeys can appeal.

McAllister, 45, rode 17 winners last season and had big race successes on Noble Sensation in the $60,000 Thomas Lyons Stakes, and $70,000 George Adams Plate.

Nevin, 19, seemingly had the world at his feet just over a year ago.

He had moved to Victoria in November 2000 after notching an amazing 60 winners from less than a year in the saddle in Tasmania.

He was indentured to trainer Russell Cameron at Aquanita Racing at Flemington and was regularly riding winners on provincial and metropolitan tracks.

However, weight problems set in and Nevin returned to Tasmania late last season.

He had resumed his apprenticeship with Whitemore trainer Graeme McCulloch, who helped him at the stewards' inquiry on Wednesday.

The suspensions will place further pressure on Tasmania's depleted jockey ranks.